crank pully/belts not spinning

ctsrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today at the gtg i went to go sang an other member and what i thought was my water pump letting go was my crank pully. all the bolts are there tight but the pully is cocked to one side is there a key way that holds in it i wont know what i got till the truck is my garage where i have acess to all my tool but i was able to pull down the sheild i drove the truck almost a mile it i seen it over heat so i hope i didnt damge any thing any idiea what let go

The loose harmonic pulley bolt is a common and well known problem on the 04's and early 05's. Sounds like this is what you've got. Depending on the damage, it could be an expensive repair.

god i hope not. it be leaking oil if i damaged the crank right

that was the problem (no key),so when the bolt loosens, the pulley spins on the end of the crank. your crankshaft may be toast:(

There have been others who have had to have the crank replaced due to the end where the pulley mounts being all chewed up. The pulley is not keyed. Why I don't know. Many have found their bolts so loose you could turn them by hand (myself included). It was necessary to Loctite the bolt and torque it back tight. Good luck. But if the pulley is spinning on the crank, there's a good chance it's toast.

is there any specs on what it should be when i take it off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TORQUE
DESCRIPTION (N·m) (Ft. Lbs). (In. Lbs.)

Bolts-A/C Compressor Mounting 23 - 200

Bolts-A/C Compressor Bracket 23 - 200

Bolt-Camshaft Position Sensor 11 - 95

Bolts-Camshaft Sprocket 23 - 200

Bolts-Camshaft Thrust Plate 24 - 210

Bolts-Connecting Rod Cap 68 50 -

Bolts-Crankshaft Main Bearing Cap (Refer to CRANKSHAFT - INSTALLATION)

Nuts-Crankshaft Oil Scraper 23 - 200

Bolts-Crankshaft Pulley 23 - 200

Bolt-Crankshaft Vibration Damper 176 130 -

Bolts-Cylinder Head (Refer to CYLINDER HEAD - INSTALLATION)

Bolts/Studs-Cylinder Head Cover 11 - 95

Exhaust Manifold 23 - 200

Exhaust Pipe to Exhaust Manifold 34 25 -

Bolts-Engine Mount Bracket-to-Block 41 30 -

Nuts-Engine Mount Insulator 102 75 -

Bolts-Flywheel to Crankshaft 75 55 -

Bolts-Generator Mounting 41 30 -

Bolts-Intake Manifold 11 - 95

Bolts-Oil Cooler 5 - 40

Oil Cooler Line Fitting 68 50 -

Bolts-Oil Pan
1/4–20 11 - 95

5/16–18 23 - 200

Plug-Oil Pan Drain 34 25 -

Plug-Oil Pressure Relief Valve 34 25 -

Bolts-Oil Pump Cover 23 - 200

Oil Pump Pick-up Tube

Bolt 1/4–20 11 - 95

Nut 5/16–18 23 - 200

Oil Filter 18 - 160

Oil Pressure Sensor 8.5 - 75

Oil Temperature Sensor 8.5 - 75

Bolts-Power Steering Pump Mounting 23 - 200

Bolts-Rear Crankshaft Seal Retainer 11 - 95

Bolts-Rocker Arm 35 26 -

Spark Plugs 27 20 -

Bolts-Starter Mounting 41 30 -

Bolts-Throttle Body 11 - 95

Bolts-Timing Chain Cover 23 - 200

Bolts-Water Pump Mounting 11 - 95

I drove mine over 100 miles with teh pully falling off lose, and the dealer wanted to change the crank and charge me 8k since I have no warnty, I put on a new balancer and cranked the sucker on there with lock tite, 20,000 km later its good as new... The crank was all chewed up, but its still fine.

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
I drove mine over 100 miles with teh pully falling off lose, and the dealer wanted to change the crank and charge me 8k since I have no warnty, I put on a new balancer and cranked the sucker on there with lock tite, 20,000 km later its good as new... The crank was all chewed up, but its still fine.

For extra insurance you could pin the crank to keep it from spinning if the pulley doesn't fit just right.

http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=262

Or...pull the crank, add forged rods and forged pistons...might as well get some striker heads while you are at it!!!

Turn that lemon into lemonade!

Prof said:
Or...pull the crank, add forged rods and forged pistons...might as well get some striker heads while you are at it!!!

Turn that lemon into lemonade!
i did my build over the winter 7k and it still dont run right im so pissed off its gonna the the dark side of my garage for a little bit even after i fix it its gonna be a joe mags kinda thing

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
did the belt fall off or did it stay on and lock up my stayed on and the pully is cocked

happened 2 me, lucky that I still had a warrenty on the sucker or it would have cost me dearly!! they had 2 replace the crank, you might be able to getaway with cleaning up the crank and balencer and reinstalling it if it's not to badly chewed up but then again?!?!? kinda cool though watching the engine run without any of the accesories turning, not so cool if you got no warrenty sorry dude:dontknow:
Joe:rock:

Sorry to hear about it Paul, sounds like maybe if it ain't to screwed up, the lock-tite, crank the shit out of it trick might work....

Good Luck ... Jim

im praying it wont be chewed up i having towed tommorow night when my tow truck is back in town

ctsrt10 said:
did the belt fall off or did it stay on and lock up my stayed on and the pully is cocked

Belt stayed on but all the power stoped no power stearing, etc.... the pully itself was bored out like a v shape totaly messed up.. But its all good now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back