Cure for the BBK idle surge

Slitherbeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think i may have a fix for the BBK thottlebody idle problems..... The typical setup was to set TPS voltage at .68 volts. To get there the throttle blades were bottomed out and would "stick". once throttle was opened it would NOT go back and sit on the idle setscrew. It would hang up and then high idle then eventually surge. I realized there was to much air bypassing through the IAC. The IAC could not control that much air effectively. So I set the idle setscrew here..... (see pic 1) Then i Checked the voltage, it was at 1.02. So i removed the TPS and , with an adjustable wrench, I twisted the tab on the throttlebody that the TPS engages, slightly......( see pic 2). After reinstalling the TPS, i checked voltage. .47volts.(see pic 3) Disconnected the battery so the ECU can relearn new parameters and WOW! It idles awesome!!! I can't take it for a ride until spring:mad: but i think it will work!!.:D If someone down south is tired of a surging idle and can try this mod I would greatly appreciate it!! :rock: sorry for the poor quality pics :dontknow:

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 827
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 678
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 647
The blades need to be open slightly so they don't hangup and allow most of the idle air through. with that adjustment the voltage from the TPS was to high ! only fix i could think of to lower the voltage. I have now restarted the truck 6-8 times and it sounds awesome!! ....i am alittle excited about it!!! I was gonna make an ashtray with it if i couldn't get it to idle properly!!

My bbk didn't surge but it stuck at first. I pulled the blades and machined them down slightly in diameter ( it didnt take much) ...adjusted the idle screw on it accordingly and it's worked flawless ever since..

is the puter still seein full throttle???

You only LIKE your BBK? You need to LOVE it....LOL

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back