Damage to spark Plug

FlyingLow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a spin off thread from the code thread I posted. I drove my truck really hard and threw the code for misfire. I pulled the #3 plug and below is a pic of it with a new one. I have since pulled all the other plugs and they look OK. I'm trying to figure out what could have caused this. It looks like I just lost the gap from some reason. I know I have been running rich. I have kept it rich to try and prevent any damage from the STS turbo. I was planning on getting it leaned out next month with the addition of the VEC3 and some meth. So take a look and tell me what you think could have happened. I had about 17K miles on those plugs. I was wondering if this could have happened because I drove very hard and then just shut it off. I didn't let it cool down or anything. Well give me your input. Oh yeah it almost sounds like I can hear a tapping noise. My neighbor says it is the valve. It taps a few times right after start but then goes away. The truck is not smoking at all.

Smoke

DSCF0803.jpg

Lokks like something in the cylinder closed up the ground electrode. If it is not smoking and the tapping noise goes away I would put the new plug in it and drive it around easy today and see if the miss is gone. Pull the oil dipstick out, look at it in the sun and see if there is any metal in the oil, will look like glitter.

something hit that plug. if you have tapping, you might have spun a rod bearing. I'm not sure how clost the pistons come to the sparkplug in a viper engine, but with a spun bearing your pistons will come .060" or more closer to the head.

definitely pull the head and have a look see!

Mike

I spoke with a friend of mine who is great with mechanics. Just by looking at it he could tell it is running ruch like you stated, however the issue with the gap is hard to figure out. It may have been getting worse over time and finally gave out. It sounds more like a single event causing the issue. I would drive it and listen for noises and check the plug again in 100 to 200 miles and see if the issue re-occurs.

check your air cleaner also. the sts sucks air from the worst possible location, so if that becomes damaged or loose anything could get sucked in there and possibly make it's way into the cylinder.

Oil looks OK and the truck drives like normal. I was wondering if the plug has just been getting worse and worse then just gave out. Here are some of the other plugs.

DSCF0809.jpg

sleeper said:
Don't drive it. Check oil pressure. Do a compression check. Maybe you have carbon build up on the piston.

Is this hard to get done and/or costly?

(1) The gap was nearly closed when it was originally installed OR
(2) Something hit the plug and closed the gap.

Ron

This is a longshot, but we have seen pieces of carbon become dislogged and smack the spark plug therefore closing the gap (older engines). Also, check to make sure nothing was ingested from aircleaner or....?

A compression check should easily rule out damage from hurt piston or valve.

I agree that if it was a bearing, there would be knocking and metal appearing in oil.

Let us know where the compression comes in relative to the other cylinders.

REOMOTORS said:
This is a longshot, but we have seen pieces of carbon become dislogged and smack the spark plug therefore closing the gap (older engines).

That is what the guy at Dodge said could have happen. I will look into the compression check soon. I'm down to one car right now due to the crash from Friday that caused me to drive the truck hard in the first place.

rottenronnie said:
(1) The gap was nearly closed when it was originally installed OR
(2) Something hit the plug and closed the gap.

Ron

Ron is correct, and in my opinion I don't believe it was installed that way. I hate to say this Scott, but your luck with the STS may have run out.

FlyingLow said:
Oil looks OK and the truck drives like normal. I was wondering if the plug has just been getting worse and worse then just gave out. Here are some of the other plugs.

DSCF0809.jpg

Is that the bad plug, third from the right?

Find a way to get a leakdown test done. A customers car (SRT4) just did the same thing when a piece of piston broke off. The engine still ran fine, didnt smoke or anything wierd, but it closed up the plug and set a misfire code. A compression check revealed nothing wrong, but a leakdown test showed bent intake valve(s).
Justin

REOMOTORS said:
You can get a compression guage almost anywhere. I would recommend going to Sears for one today.

Is this something easy to do or do I have to pull parts of the engine off?

Scott the compression gauge screws in the spark plug holes, it is simple and easy to do. You need to figure out what caused this, my fear is it won't be good news. Something hit that plug, and that's never goodness. If the compression check is OK then you need to do a leak down test. The fact that you have an STS and it's the #3 piston is very troubling to me...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back