Detailing Engine

Personally, I don't do much to it (yet) other than occasionally wipe off the valve covers and chrome fuel rails.

One silly thing that I do is polish the aluminum AC lines (esp. the one on the pass. side that runs along the valve cover). Makes 'em shiny!:cool:

MacksSrt said:
What does everyone use? Tips and tricks?

Well, you could do what I'm doing at the moment, tear everything off the engine and send it out to be powdercoated, but that's a little extreme on a regular basis...LOL!!! I know there was some guys chimed in on this topic in some previous postings, there are several similar and some different approaches. I think a lot of guys just spray everything with Simple Green and rinse it all off, which is what I do.

Hamrhead said:
One silly thing that I do is polish the aluminum AC lines (esp. the one on the pass. side that runs along the valve cover). Makes 'em shiny!:cool:

Shiny is NOT silly...LOL!!! 4/0 steel wool works real good on those...;)

if you dillute Simple Green it works really well...just put 1 part SG to 10 parts water and use a brush/sponge to apply on a COOL ENGINE(otherwise it dries the instant it touches)...then use the sponge with clean water to rinse...A friend of mine details cars and he hoses the engine bay to rinse :dontknow: (i didnt think it was a good idea, but he said just watch out for the ECU and make sure the fuse box is nice and sealed)

After using simple green and hosing it off. I dry with a leafblower then wipe down all the surfaces i can witha detailing mist and wipe doen the hoses with tire dressing.

hemi killer said:
After using simple green and hosing it off. I dry with a leafblower then wipe down all the surfaces i can witha detailing mist and wipe doen the hoses with tire dressing.
My exact approach.

if you dillute Simple Green it works really well...just put 1 part SG to 10 parts water and use a brush/sponge to apply on a COOL ENGINE(otherwise it dries the instant it touches)...then use the sponge with clean water to rinse...A friend of mine details cars and he hoses the engine bay to rinse :dontknow: (i didnt think it was a good idea, but he said just watch out for the ECU and make sure the fuse box is nice and sealed)

Second that! I use simple green....let sit...rinse off with slow running water. Wipe down with tire dressing when done to shine it up.:rock:

if i have to use water, (very seldom) i run it throught my CR spotless water filter first. by the way the pollen and other crap coming down out of our oak trees is f'n annoying:mad:

I do the same, but use purple power. Leaf blower and dress the hoses. Only do it 2-3 times a year. I dont like soaking the engine too much.

if i have to use water, (very seldom) i run it throught my CR spotless water filter first. by the way the pollen and other crap coming down out of our oak trees is f'n annoying:mad:

The pollen is a bi%-+ lol cleaned my friday had to wipe pollen for a hour!!! I use meguaires however u spell it on valves and mothers on the paxton

The red on my valve covers is starting to peel off, is it just high heat paint or powder? Is pulling the valve covers a pain in the ass? Are gaskets reusable? etc...

The red on my valve covers is starting to peel off, is it just high heat paint or powder? Is pulling the valve covers a pain in the ass? Are gaskets reusable? etc...

Easy to remove,and reuse the rubber gaskets.the covers are magnesium,make sure you have them powdercoated by someone who is familiar with them...I recommend JMB.A local powdercoater here,blew holes in one when he was sand blasting one clean,they are soft!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back