Diagnosis of Broken Engine

faslane505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i finally got my truck to the Mac Haik dealership in houston this past week (engine was rebuilt @mak haik in austin) and preliminary diagnosis is a busted cam bearing:mad: ...anyone know if this will require a new cam or not...just wondering... i guess this mak haik here in houston is still trying to work out the kinks with the austin mak haik to figure out the detail of the repairs.

back to the waiting game i guess:dontknow:

How are the cam journals?

One of the most common causes of camshaft failure after new install is lack of or insufficient/improper lube.

Last edited:
well maybe fasstdak will jump in here...hes the viper tech that installed it...maybe he can answer that.

Dumb question.....

I have looked in the manual and I find nothing under the 8.3L engine about camshaft bearing removal or installation. The diesel section contains the bearing removal/installation instructions.

Does this really have bearings or when the cam goes out do you have to align bore the cam journals to a larger size and use a camshaft with oversize journals? I thought I heard that somewhere ....
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I don't have a parts book to refer to, just the manual. Thanks!

Wow, big time bummer. thanks for Keeping us updated.
It will be interesting to know what was the cause of it might have been.

I've got my ideas, but will need to know more before I put my .02 in.

faslane505 said:
So i finally got my truck to the Mac Haik dealership in houston this past week (engine was rebuilt @mak haik in austin) and preliminary diagnosis is a busted cam bearing:mad: ...
I just read the post by DC performance that our trucks don't have cam bearings ............

Oh great, another highly edumacated stealership :( :(

So no cam bearings....:eek: :eek: So if debris got in and scarred the journal area of the block where the cam bearings would normally go then could it be possible the block is history?

No, there are no cam bearings in these engines - part of the block. I'm waiting on pictures from the Houston dealership to check everything out.

I do not find it unusual for there to be no cam bearings. Most aluminum head four banger's do not have bearings for overhead cams. It is pretty rare to see a cam journal or housing get eaten up. If it does happen it could be either debris in the oil or oil starvation causing metal to metal contact. I am assuming they will have to replace the block if cam journal bore is ground up. Only other ideas for fixing is to weld material in the bore and machine it true again, or ream it to a larger diameter and have a custom ground cam with larger journals.

I am guessing that a traditional cam bearing will not work well in an aluminum block. Since they are normally press fit and the thermal expansion of aluminum would probably cause the bearing to spin in the bore at operating temp (or worse). The only other option would be an interference fit bearing, but you would have to heat the entire block to a temperature that would allow the bearings to be inserted into the bores. I think there would be too many variables (expansion rate of block, bearings, the affects of the necessary heat on the blocks hardness, bearing qualities) for it to be worth while.

I would rather just get a new block if it was under warranty. Good luck, I hope it works out that way.

-Muzzy

Cam Brgs

You might be right about the reasoning about cam brgs in the viper block. I do know that mopar put cam brgs in there 2.0 liter I.T. racing engines,and found some horsepower.Also,top fuel and top alcohol drag engines use cam brgs.
I personally have a 91 Spirit R/T that had a head and cam problem and my machinist found some bearings that would work.So he saved a very expensive head.

david @ the houston mac haik said there was "Major Internal Damage". he did mention a cam bearing. i dont know if that is just his assumption of what was wrong or if the viper tech told him that.. im assuming he assumed that since there is no cam bearing. he said that they are working on the details within the 2 dealerships on whos responsible for the work....MUZZY mention metal on metal sound....that is exactly what i heard .....it is a real harsh metal on metal scrapping sound. you think they are going to have to replace the block? i would get a whole new short block right?

recall!!

there was a recall on certain engines , something about the camshaft sprocket bolt loosening off and creating substantial engine damage. 1200 vehicles affected. does this mean anything to anyone???:nurse: :nurse:

Attachments

• alldata 04 srt 10 recall.JPG
    alldata 04 srt 10 recall.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 39
Hucksrt10 said:
there was a recall on certain engines , something about the camshaft sprocket bolt loosening off and creating substantial engine damage. 1200 vehicles affected. does this mean anything to anyone???:nurse: :nurse:

I believe that is a different issue, nonetheless important.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back