Diff/Tranny Fluid and Spark Plugs??

USMC11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gents, just picked up an 04 RC yesterday and plan on gettin some maintenance done to start fresh...I dont have an owners manual so want to see if I can get some help from you's...

1. What visc is the differential fluid?
2. What type of trans fluid?
3. what kind of plugs are people running? Whats the gap?

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Trans use Mobile 1 SYN ATF...yes, ATF. The manufacturer recommends it though Dodge doesnt. Will shift tons better. Royal Purple ATF is another good choice.

Rear takes 90w...I use Royal Purple SYN 75W/90. Already has friction stuff for LSD.

I forgot what size plugs..someone will chime in...I use NGK brand.

I use Redline MTL in the transmission, and Royal Purple 75w90 in the diff. I'm using NGK copper plugs 1 step colder don't have the part number on me.

TNVIPER said:
Trans use Mobile 1 SYN ATF...yes, ATF. The manufacturer recommends it though Dodge doesnt. Will shift tons better. Royal Purple ATF is another good choice.

Rear takes 90w...I use Royal Purple SYN 75W/90. Already has friction stuff for LSD.

I've been thinking about putting some purple in my ride too....

How many quarts for the tranny and diff?

TRANS--I use the mopar synthetic manual trans fluid p/n 4874459 with 2 bottles of friction modifier (makes shifting much easier)

DIFF-- I use the mopar 75w-140 sythentic with 2 bottles friction modifier

Spark Plugs-- I use the factory Champion plugs p/n SP0RC12ECC

I'm in the Hot sunny state of Florida so I choose these....Wit a little help from my freinds here on the VTCOA:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Rear = Royal Purple 75-140 3 quarts
Trans= Mopar ATF+4 ( Automatic Trans )
Plugs = Champion Platinum RC12PEC5 ( Indexed )
Brake Fluid = Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4
coolant= Mopar MS 9769
Oil= Mobil 1 15W-50 8.5 Qts. (2005 QC )

VIPR PWR said:
I'm in the Hot sunny state of Florida so I choose these....Wit a little help from my freinds here on the VTCOA:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Rear = Royal Purple 75-140 3 quarts
Trans= Mopar ATF+4 ( Automatic Trans )
Plugs = Champion Platinum RC12PEC5 ( Indexed )
Brake Fluid = Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 & 4
coolant= Mopar MS 9769
Oil= Mobil 1 15W-50 8.5 Qts. (2005 QC )

15W-50 for engine oil? The cap says 10-30 I believe. What benefit is there to running 15W-50?

TNVIPER said:

ATF in a manual trans? interesting...

USMC11 said:
15W-50 for engine oil? The cap says 10-30 I believe. What benefit is there to running 15W-50?

Less valve train noise and a more steady and higher oil pressure reading...It's better due to the temperature ranges in the hotter areas of the country... the 2005' recommend 0W40 from the factory. My oil pressure would read about 25 psi when hot at Idle and around 55psi crusing,, made me nervous,,,,,,Searched this site and other sites and found a lot of info... Made sense to use the 15W50....My oil pressure readings are up to just above 75 psi on cold start-up and never goes below 45psi hot......You should choose the weight of oil by the climate you live in...Which the factory does NOT do ----
I'ts also the same reason I went with the 75w 140 differential oil...

Last edited:
great feedback guys. I've worked on cars and trucks for some time but no too educated on oil itself. I'm living in northern california which is a pretty mellow climate overall. What do you recommend?

USMC11 said:

Most T56's came from the factory with ATF, except Vipers since the 99 model year. A technical service bulletin addressing neutral gear rattle also recommended that 95 and up Viper T56's switch to Mopar synthetic manual transmission fluid (Castrol Syntorq). However, I think most on here run ATF (including me).

USMC11 said:

This is from the service manual on Tremec's web site:

1-1-3. APPROVED LUBRICANT
. Most T56
transmission models use Dexron
Ã’ II automatic
transmission fluid. Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual or
service manual for lubricant specifications.

CAUTION
Do not mix different brands or types of transmission
lubricant. DO NOT USE GEAR OIL IN THE T56
TRANSMISSION SINCE THIS MAY DAMAGE THE
BLOCKING RING MATERIAL.

I was told by a Chrysler engineer that the reason Dodge wanted gear oil was to stop complaints about trans noise....your trans will be quieter with gear oil but will not shift as well especially in cooler weather...

Link to service manual...

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-56_Service_Manual.pdf

+1 on Royal Purple in the tranny and diff. Changed to those and 15w50 oil (in the summer) and the whole drivetrain is quieter and feels smoother.

I've got over 100K on my engine and have used only what the manufacture recommended. Yes, including 0-40W engine oil. I did speak with a Tremec engineer and he confirmed what TNViper is posting but stated if I'm not having an issue with cold weather shifting his recommendation was NOT to change the oil. He said he'd much prefer that the end user continue using the same oil throughout its life. i.e. pick one and stick with it.

In my 100K of experience the two fluids that you really need to flush more often then recommended is the manual clutch fluid and brake fluid. I flush my clutch every oil change (takes all of 10 min) and my brake fluid every 10K. Im still on my original clutch and all components.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back