Differential Cover Gasket????

Skyydiver

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where and or a part # of a DANA 60 differential cover gasket? The shop manual by DC says no gasket available...to use RTV pookie.

I have to be honest here, I am a pretty competent mechanic, but when it comes to using RTV on differential covers, I can never get a good seal and I always wind up developing a leak...which means, I always have to go back in and redo it...plus, that crap makes the biggest mess. I have tried varying size beads...vary drying times before putting the cover back in place...still get leaks. Obviously I must be mentally challenged in this skill set. Ha! :D

So I am hoping someone knows where I can get a Dana 60 gasket (if it even exists) or at least maybe a part #.

Thanks,
Joe

NO gasket use sealant... come see me at the dealer I've got some good stuff---will not leak

I've used the Loctite Blue RTV stuff for many differentials, never had leaks or sweats. It all depends on how you apply the stuff, not too much, not too little.

I have replaced many diff covers and have done many fluid changes with RTV as the gasket. Never had a leak yet. I use Permatex black gasket maker. Make sure the gasket surfaces are completely oil free and dry. The trick I do is to finger tighten the bolts just enough until you see the RTV start to squeeze out. Then I let it sit for 20-30 minutes before going back to torque them.

Good luck!
-Muzzy

see...I'm telling you...everyone else can do this simple task...but apparently I ride the short bus when it comes to using RTV! Ha Ha Ha :D :D :D

Muzzy said:
I have replaced many diff covers and have done many fluid changes with RTV as the gasket. Never had a leak yet. I use Permatex black gasket maker. Make sure the gasket surfaces are completely oil free and dry. The trick I do is to finger tighten the bolts just enough until you see the RTV start to squeeze out. Then I let it sit for 20-30 minutes before going back to torque them.

Good luck!
-Muzzy

:dito:

its from Mopar.. its called axle RTV Silicone Sealant... stuff is awesome.. easy to remove when you do your next axle service and easy to apply and seals excellent.. i dont have the part number handy but skyydiver came in today and bought some.. if he's around he'll have his receipt with it on it... you can go to your local dealer and just ask for the gray axle sealant ...they'll know what your looking for... every chrysler tech i have EVER known only uses this stuff.

Muzzy said:
I have replaced many diff covers and have done many fluid changes with RTV as the gasket. Never had a leak yet. I use Permatex black gasket maker. Make sure the gasket surfaces are completely oil free and dry. The trick I do is to finger tighten the bolts just enough until you see the RTV start to squeeze out. Then I let it sit for 20-30 minutes before going back to torque them. Good luck! -Muzzy

I have used RTV for difs, valve covers and manifold end seals (din't even use gaskets, they will leak) for the last 20+:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: years and they do not leak.

Prep is very inportant. I clean with brakeclean or denatured alcohol for the final cleaning before applying a bead of RTV. Letting it sit and tack for 15-20 minutes like Muzzy said. Also bring the part down evenly and slowly without jacking 1 bolt tight before the others.

Good luck...................:)

Ever Try.....

....Yamabond 4? Yep, available from any Yamaha cycle shop.

I pretty much only use this stuff, as it sticks to OIL! I have been using this since the early 80's!:rock:

Jon

I've done the RTV route for years, but get tired of all the cleanup and prep work.

I've now switched to using these on my rockcrawler (Dynatrac custom Dana 60s) with great success, and will be using one on the SRT in 2000 miles.
http://www.lubelocker.com/products/catalog.html
and
http://www.lubelocker.com/

$17 vs scraping, spraying, waiting so you don't squish it out. I'll spend $17.:rock: :rock: :rock:

I'm not associated with these folks - just like a good product.

HaroldD said:
I've done the RTV route for years, but get tired of all the cleanup and prep work.

I've now switched to using these on my rockcrawler (Dynatrac custom Dana 60s) with great success, and will be using one on the SRT in 2000 miles.
http://www.lubelocker.com/products/catalog.html
and
http://www.lubelocker.com/

$17 vs scraping, spraying, waiting so you don't squish it out. I'll spend $17.:rock: :rock: :rock:

I'm not associated with these folks - just like a good product.
Looks like a cool product.

NOTE: The gaskets for a regular Dana60 will work on the QC's, however they will NOT work on the RC's.
No one makes a gasket for the diff. on the RC's.

Kevan said:
Looks like a cool product.

NOTE: The gaskets for a regular Dana60 will work on the QC's, however they will NOT work on the RC's.
No one makes a gasket for the diff. on the RC's.
Damn, You answered my question before i could type it.:rock:

Yeah...this tube was $17 also from Mopar...

The part # is 5013477AA

Thanks again Robert for hooking me up!

-Joe

Muzzy said:

Good luck!
-Muzzy

Yep. What he said. RTV is the cats ass. Prep is key. I thought RTV was garbage until I took my time. If I'm not in a hurry, I'll go finger tight and let it sit for a few hours and then tighten to spec evenly. Gaskets are now my second choice.

No one makes a gasket for the diff. on the RC's.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference? I know about the differences in spring mounting, but thought the center section was the same between the RC and QC.

The RC has a different cover that includes a shock absorber for a third 'anti-wind-up' shock.

My truck was sealed at the factory with gray RTV. I myself have changed the fluid three times, each time I used Permatex Ultra Grey. Never had a single leak.:bebored:

Practically the only time I use a gasket is if the thickness is part of the assembly specs. In this case it's not. I wouldn't risk the leaks by using a gasket there.

If you're dead set on having a gasket,pick you up a Mag Hi-Tech Diff cover,not only do they have a gasket,they look kool as chitt too !!!:rock: :rock:

6pakattack said:
If you're dead set on having a gasket,pick you up a Mag Hi-Tech Diff cover,not only do they have a gasket,they look kool as chitt too !!!:rock: :rock:
FOR QC TRUCKS ONLY!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back