Dog Hit and Run - Amazing they wouldn't stop

Bone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Venting a little here:

I come home from a Summit visit (breaking in my engine) and find my neighbor's dog crawling in pain, bloody, in the street with a girl crying over it.

Someone in a SUV hit the dog (7 month year old puppy) and took off, only to leave it suffering in the street. Then I see someone just drive around it and drive off! Fricken amazing!

Long story short - I have spent the last 4 hours with my Vet. Why do people do this? One thing to hit the dog while speeding, another thing to drive off when it is hurt!

Sorry to say but some ass holes could care less about life as long as its not them . I have watched people accelarate to try and run down my animals as if to be a game . Well I looked up the rules for Run down a pet and there are No rules saying what capacity your clip can be for intervention so I just keep a 50 rnd drum in with 3 30rnd sticks in my belt .Now would I kill someone who did that prob not but fuel tanks,tires and tin are fair game even though it's very tempting .Options seem to be better with country rules rather than city rules
Mike

There's just some Heartless Assholes out there,that's all !!!Maybe if someone was to catch them and pound the chitt out of them,maybe they'd learn some RESPECT for LIFE !!!! Probably NOT !!!!!

That is terrible....makes me sick to my stomach......I can't believe some people...just pisses me off :mad:

Luckily, it's a small southern town and I know the Vet. Had the dog in the Vet's office being treated within 15 minutes on a Sunday night.

Only me and the Vet there, but it worked out. BTW, I have a new career field, Vet assistent - was running IVs (catheters)while the vet was checking for colapsed lungs. Didn't think my military Self Aid and Buddy Care would be used on a dog, but so be it.

Lungs were good. Right front leg was broken and maybe the rear. I could feel the front one in several places. A few teeth missing. Waiting for blood work to tell for internal damage.

The dog, Brantley, did wag her tail a few times. So hopefully she will survive the night.

I *LOVE* license plates. :) Track that bietch down.
I wonder if that's considered animal cruelty (which is a felony in 46 states)?

Mike- I like your theory: tires. That tends to stop most folks. :D

NOTE: Almost all animal shelters and vets will take in any type of injured animal. It's one of the many reasons I carry a set of leather gloves in the truck.
Fortunately, I've never had to use them for this purpose.

Kevan said:
NOTE: Almost all animal shelters and vets will take in any type of injured animal. It's one of the many reasons I carry a set of leather gloves in the truck.
Fortunately, I've never had to use them for this purpose.
Not a bad idea, I trashed my jacket with blood. Fortunately, I had some towels from working on my truck already lineup in the back seats covering them.

Most injured animals won't struggle or attack. The floor is a great place for them (less chance of them sliding off the seat causing further injury). Floor mats are easily cleaned or replaced.

Towels work well too. Not only as a 'drop cloth', but also to cover the animal. They seem to calm down when their eyes are covered. It also helps with warmth. I think most of us have at least one towel in our trucks. :)

The good news is NO ONE will get the animal to the vet faster than we can!
:D

I'm not saying what they did was right, but I will give the other side of it.

I personally get extremely pissed off that irresponsible pet owners that let their animals run free where they can be hit. That goes for dogs, cats, rats, snakes, whatever. You want them, then f*cking take care of them.

If your dog runs out in the street and gets hit, it's not the drivers fault, provided that he is obeying all the laws. It's the pet owners fault.

So okay, I stop and try to help the animal. What can I do? Try to find the owner. Okay found the owner. Some owners get mad at you and try to take it out on you. Not good. Take the animal to a vet? Vet won't take it without knowing who to bill. Am I going to pay for someone elses pet? I probably would, but most would or could not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's a no win situation for a driver that hits an animal.

As for those that go out of their way to hit animals? Well I will just leave it there.

And Mikey, I'm talking about peoples pets, not birds.

I have many thoughts and feelings on this issue....

I agree with alot of what Silver just said...... alot of it....

It's really great that Dave stopped to render assistance... I think it reflects alot about him and about who he is inside.......

I'm a true marshmallow about animals...... I love our planet's creatures..... Well, most of 'em anyway.... If more people did care better for their pets, this shit would happen alot less frequently.....

I had a telephone conversation with Mikey about his bird population reduction program..... He likes to hit birds with his car...... I made the mistake of telling him that I had to shoot a coupla' crows when they were raiding the nests of other animals in my yard.... Mikey says what I'm doing is (basically) the same thing.

How he can compare the efficient management of individual predators with gleefully running down flocks of harmless little birds with an automobile... and then writing about his conquest on this forum.... this is beyond even my vivid imagination.

But, I digress.......

Kudos to Dave for caring enough to act on behalf of an injured animal..... It's good karma, I think....

God bless ya.....

Django

Silverback said:
Vet won't take it without knowing who to bill.
Not true, but don't believe me.
Ask your vet what he/she would do if you brought in a dog with 2 broken legs. Get back to me on that.

There are TONS of vets/shelters/animal care places that accept animals (of any kind) WITHOUT payment. They might ask for a donation, but that's entirely reasonable.....and not a bill.
Many of those places are staffed with students learning to be vets. I know the one near me is.

Any pet that's had shots will have tags. Hopefully the owner is responsible enough to get a collar for those tags and put them on the pet. The vet can trace the tags (and the bill) back to the owner.

Need to find one of those places? Google.com

I do, however, agree with you guys: Leashes, fences, and common sense are the best ways to stop stuff like this from happening in the first place.

Kevan said:
Not true, but don't believe me.
Ask your vet what he/she would do if you brought in a dog with 2 broken legs. Get back to me on that.

There are TONS of vets/shelters/animal care places that accept animals (of any kind) WITHOUT payment. They might ask for a donation, but that's entirely reasonable.....and not a bill.
Many of those places are staffed with students learning to be vets. I know the one near me is.

Any pet that's had shots will have tags. Hopefully the owner is responsible enough to get a collar for those tags and put them on the pet. The vet can trace the tags (and the bill) back to the owner.

Need to find one of those places? Google.com

I do, however, agree with you guys: Leashes, fences, and common sense are the best ways to stop stuff like this from happening in the first place.

I'm just going from a prior experience. Things may have changed.

HOT RAM said:
Good job,Bone !!!!! We need more people like you in the world.How is the dog ?
I don't know yet, I was at work all day. Almost afraid to go by, but it was a strong puppy.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back