Drive Shaft support carrier bearing blown again...anyone else have this problem?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my transmission rebuilt. I took it on a drive and it was sounding solid unlike the last floppy loose sounding transmission build. Before this my truck had made some noises and the last trans shop said they couldn't find the exact noise but to replace the carrier bearing because of play and see if that helps.
-It did for a week. Then the noise returned like a metal vibration sounded while under even constant acceleration.

I had it rebuilt thinking this would eliminate the problem and help the truck run better. I picked up the truck this morning and drove it through the city fine. They told me no special driving or wear in period. So I got on the turnpike to work and I got on it a little they and the truck felt somewhat sluggisha nd making a bad noice. I turned around and went back to the shop, Looked under the truck and noticed the carrier bearing was completely destroyed, rubber bushing gone, and the bearing split in 2 pieces.

This was just built under warranty and my 2nd carrier bearing. This was less than year old and blew apart. My question is, does anyone have this problem? Also should I be held responsible for the bearing since it was ok when I brought the truck there?
I asked the master tech and he said there is really no movement of the bearing. I asked if his guy might have made an honest mistake and accidentally hit the bearing or not notice something, which he replied there is nothing that you can hit or mess up.

I'm not a master tech but i figure you have to join 2 drive shaft pieces between this bearing, there may be room for error. Can someone that is in the service industry and with experience help me. What would you do for your customer in this situation? Also is there room for error where they could have made the mistake?

Any help is appreciated!!!

I remember when u brought the truck by my house that day and I looked at the driveshaft center bearing and told you to get it replaced. If it went bad in that short of a period, then two things happened. The shop that originally installed the center bearing, really never installed it. Which would explain why the noise came back. Or, they installed it improperly, which could also explain why the noise came back. I doubt this trans shop did it. Since the driveshaft comes out in one piece.

That's what I need to know. I had it replaced after you saw it that day and they did replace it because they showed me the old one which still looked good by appearance, and the new one was all nice black and new looking. So this shop probably couldn't predict that even tho they looked at it. Now this stupid effin part is going to cost another $200+. I'm fixing my credit up and getting a diesel again. this truck is worse than a russian gold digger in south beach

I am not a mechanic but had some driveline issues with my QC as well. Did you hear that metal grinding noise again before you toasted this carrier bearing? That sound you are describeing sounds like U-joints that are absolutely toast. If the U-joints are gone it will wear out the carrier bearing right quick. You need to pull the drive shaft out and get the U-joints and carrier bearing replaced. Find a driveline shop and buy the U-joints and carrier bearing prior and take everything to them to get installed.

Did you noticed alot of vibration when you were driving down the road? I would also check or have checked your pinion angle once the driveshaft is repaired. You also might want to make sure the driveshaft is balanced properly as well. You have a 2inch drop listed. If the rear was dropped you should look into getting some shims for the rear to correct the pinion angle. A bad angle will wear the U-joints out and cause the carrier bearing to fail. It will also cause vibration and launch shudder.

You might also want to reach out for Stinker and see where he is on the one piece driveshaft for the QC trucks.

I haven't really noticed any big vibrations although I did hear a metal grind sound like crazy at slow low constant acceleration. Still how could the truck be driving for the past 6 months with that vibration sound and the day I get the truck back the carrier bearing blows apart?
I just don't feel like I should be responsible for this as they may have made an error. The truck did feel sluggish on the highway and then this happened.

There is not much they could have done to it except re-install it improperly. If the carrier bearing support was super loose that would mess up the bearing. I can not see how the sluggish part is related to the driveshaft though unless your yoke is somehow screwed up. That would be bad.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the shop you took it to in anyway. Just trying to figure out how your carrier bearing blew up on you so quickly.

Just wanted to make sure you did not think I was blaming you somehow. Something is definitely not right.

I'm not sure how it blew so quickly. My only conclusion was that the previous crappy trans shop bought the wrond type, since there is a special one just for SRT-10, or if he used a cheap POS.

I could have bought 1.5 - 1 piece driveshafts after replacing these 2 times now.

I also know that I am taking it on a road test before they get any money from me tomorrow. Especially to see if it is sluggish. The Warranty company is covering the bearing this time but still need to pay deductible again since it left their shop this morning. This is BS

trust me, after i lowered my truck my two pice driveshaft gave me nothing but problems. just get rid of it and get a one piece.

I know from past experiences that lowering or raising a vehicle with two piece drive shaft is asking for future problems. I ended up purchasing shims and spacers to get the output and input shafts at the same angle to each other. All my problems went away once I did that. THose with one piece still need to be careful but its no where near as critical as a two piece.

I shimmed my SRT10 reg cab when I dropped it....nearly 120K miles and still no problems.

My truck is only lowered in the back. I spoke to shop and said it's aligned...no reason for shims. Any lower and I would tho.

My truck is only lowered in the back. I spoke to shop and said it's aligned...no reason for shims. Any lower and I would tho.

No offense but I think your shop is full of poo!! You list having a 2" rear drop. I have a 1.5" drop, in the rear only, like you. My pinion angle was off and it tore up my carrier bearing over time. Installed 2.5 degree shims in the rear and it put the angle back where it belongs.

It got fixed but if falls apart in the future I will look to a one piece drive shaft. These two piece shafts are a royal pain in the you know what.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back