Driveshaft Safety Loop

FSTJACK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive shaft safety loops are necessary with most rear wheel stick shift vehicles. I have witnessed the death of three people in 60's due to front U Joint failure/breakage.

If you are going to drive your hot rod hard it needs a driveshaft safety loop.

NHRA requires a loop with slicks.
Here is a copy of the regulation from the 2006 NHRA rule book.

Driveline
OEM production line all-wheel-drive permitted. Driveshaft loop required on all cars running 13.99 (*8.59) or quicker and utilizing slicks, except vehicles running 11.49 (*7.35) seconds or slower equipped with street tires.
*1/8 mile ET

Loop within 6" of the centerline of the u-joint? You get my PM Jack?

womsterr said:
Jack...is this provision lessened for CF driveshafts?

Should be CF just fans out into nothing when it gives.....

BTW....my Driveshaft mount was shot (torn) and then replaced....

Blakewilder said:
Yeah, I ordered one from Markwiliams.com

I got two of them in the garage...one by Lakewood, and one from Applied Racing Technologies.....just not that thrilled with them. They would "do" but I'm going to see how this last one looks first. I know...never going to see it....

Nowwhat said:
Should be CF just fans out into nothing when it gives.....

BTW....my Driveshaft mount was shot (torn) and then replaced....

Not a 100% true Mike. All depends on how it's loaded. Generally it's stronger than steel. I also know I would not want to bet my life on it if it fails.

NBT said:
I got two of them in the garage...one by Lakewood, and one from Applied Racing Technologies.....just not that thrilled with them. They would "do" but I'm going to see how this last one looks first. I know...never going to see it....
The one that was fitted on my truck looks freakin awesome. :rock:

Carbon Fibre

NHRA does not have any different or lessened provisions for carbon fibre driveshafts. The same requirements are in place regardless of the material used to make it, Mild Steel, Chromemolly, Aluminum, Carbon fibre, or Unobtanium.

The carbon fibre driveshafts that I have seen fail generally turn into a what looks like a skein of loose yarn.

FSTJACK said:
The carbon fibre driveshafts that I have seen fail generally turn into a what looks like a skein of loose yarn.

Reckon you can knit a driveshaft with that skein of material?? Might be able to turn a QC into a RC one or something if you use a cable stitch...knit one, pearl two...LOL!!!

Silverback said:
Not a 100% true Mike. All depends on how it's loaded. Generally it's stronger than steel. I also know I would not want to bet my life on it if it fails.

Only a 100% in this case as the drive shaft is engineered to "fan out" when it lets loose....the cf is bonded to a metal fitting at the ends and when it breaks free from either end it simply looses its integrity....

Nowwhat said:
Only a 100% in this case as the drive shaft is engineered to "fan out" when it lets loose....the cf is bonded to a metal fitting at the ends and when it breaks free from either end it simply looses its integrity....

All depends on how, and where it breaks Mike. I could score it and it will fan out in the area of the failure, but the rest of the shaft will still be okay and still take one hell of a column loading.

Doesn't really matter. As Jack stated it makes no difference to the NHRA what's it made of. Same rules apply.

Silverback said:
All depends on how, and where it breaks Mike. I could score it and it will fan out in the area of the failure, but the rest of the shaft will still be okay and still take one hell of a column loading.

Doesn't really matter. As Jack stated it makes no difference to the NHRA what's it made of. Same rules apply.

Damn you ape man.......:D

it will fan out ....always......

ViperTruck2933 said:
The one that was fitted on my truck looks freakin awesome. :rock:

That's the one I'm waiting on :D

Nowwhat said:
Damn you ape man.......:D

it will fan out ....always......

You are assuming it failed in torsion and the yolk stays in place and continues to unwrap the shaft. That is only one failure scenaro. There are others.

I just want you to be safe so I have your sorry ass around here to pick on for a long, long time.;) :p :D

Silverback said:
You are assuming it failed in torsion and the yolk stays in place and continues to unwrap the shaft. That is only one failure scenaro. There are others.

I just want you to be safe so I have your sorry ass around here to pick on for a long, long time.;) :p :D

Yes sir....I will go sit in the corner now....:D

BTW.....it will ALWAYS fan out.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back