Dyno Blues

SERPENT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the dyno again yesterday for our third set of pulls in as many weeks with our new built motor with one of Stinkers billet supercharger pulleys and Eddie's custom cam. First week we blew the power steering pump at about 4,000 rpm and blew fluid all over the engine bay and dyno. Second week we blew a Cometic head gasket at about 4000 rpm and forced a bunch of coolant out of the radiator cap. No other damage thankfully. Yesterday we couldn't get traction on the dyno until we put about 350 lbs. in the bed and lowered the tire pressure. Was able to pull till a little over 5000 rpm and then blew the intake hose off the connection at the throttle body at about 10.7 lbs of boost. At the time we were making roughly 710 rwhp and 672 ft lbs of torque. We reconnected two more times and blew the double clamped hose off two more times. The hose connects to an X-Metal single blade throttle body with a fairly narrow lip. We will try to either weld an extension onto the lip or perhaps abead all the way around the circumferance. We are running a Paxton with an oversize intercooler with very little internal resistance. The intercooler drops ambient temps up to 40 degrees F. We willl try again next week to get a clean dyno run and are looking to make over 750 rwhp at peak.

Nice man, I've seend diesel guys spray their conections with hairspray before to keep them from blowing off, acts like glue.

I must be superstitious cause when it blew the second time I would have quit before I blew something else up.

I must be superstitious cause when it blew the second time I would have quit before I blew something else up.

We lucked out. No oil leals, no coolant leaks-- compression test ok. We have welded a new lip on the throttle body and glued and clamped the hose over the lip. Looking to try one more run tomorrow.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back