Dynomax VT muffler install/review

DESRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give the new valved Dynomax VT mufflers a try. They have a spring valve inside that opens based on exhaust flow. Kind of like the Corvette valved muffler, but no electronic controlling the valve.

My prior set up had ARH headers, ARH straight thru mid pipes, 3" straight pipes to twin Dynomax 17235's, then Dan's used Magnaflow tail pipes (minus the original Magnaflow muffler). Thanks Dan. The Dynomax 17235's are the largest internal volume straight thru core mufflers I could find from any company. They are 24" long by 9.57" by 4.5". This set up was basically 2 individual 3" with no communication. This was an relatively easy set up as needed no new pipe bending to install.

It was okay at around town driving, but sounded a bit choppy, I think due to uneven pulses from the left and right side in the single exhausts. It had some bearable resonance on the highway, but was painfully loud at full throttle. It sounded great on the dyno, but too loud to use any real throttle around town.

I had an 3" H pipe added at the end of the ARH mid pipes when the VT mufflers were installed. I wanted some kind of resonator at the tail end to improve the overall sound and the VTs seemed like a possible fit. They are straight thru core except for valve. They seemed gimmicky at first, but the more I read reviews on them, seem like a great answer for big bore exhausts that need some help. The VT install was very tight on space and the original magnaflow pipes needed to be spaced apart (cut the single metal strip holding the 2 pipes together) then cut/welded just before the new muffers to get the angle to tail pipes just right. I wasn't sure they would fit, but they just made it. The tail pipes took a few trials to get straight, but it all worked in the end. The original spare tire can just barely still fit, but my installer didn't mount it back. He didn't want to melt the rubber as only has a bit less than 0.5" space between the spare and mufflers, even with the spare pulled all the way over to the drivers side of the frame. I have remounted it back yet. Wonder if there is a smaller spare option that can work?

I love this new combo. I am all for stealth driving mode. It is quiet at idle and around town, sounds very smooth (I am sure the H pipe helped in this regards a lot), no choppiness. the headers sound much better. Zero resonance at any throttle. When on the throttle, it gets louder, but much quieter and much smoother sounding than it used to be. It may be too quiet for some, but I really like it now. Took the family to New Orleans and the 10 was great for the hour plus highway drive each way. You don't hear the valves from in the cab, and anyone outside isn't going to hear them much either. From total subjective seat of the pants, throttle response actually seems a bit better in the low rpms.

Here are some pics. These are with some silver paint from the shop. This shows them in the photos better. I have since painted the pipes and muffles all black, so they don't really show to the casual observer anymore.

Attachments

• DSCF5631.JPG
    DSCF5631.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCF5636.JPG
    DSCF5636.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSCF5625.JPG
    DSCF5625.JPG
    845.7 KB · Views: 1,849
  • DSCF5635.JPG
    DSCF5635.JPG
    603.2 KB · Views: 1,125
Last edited:
so your runnin duel mufflers????

interestin cal-traks set up

nice set up:rock:

Last edited:
Nice setup! Get some video and post up on the "sound clip" thread.

I polished it out enough that I can live with it. Plus the price was right. Thanks again. Happy to recycle good 10 parts. lol

nice, bryan!

you know that little ding on the left pipe... i was backing up to the trailer... and i was off by that much, lol:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back