Emissions - Help!

monopoly19

Reaction score
So here is a bit of backlog on the truck.

2005 QC
Known mods
Bellanger Headers
High flow cats
Custom 3" exhaust
CAI

I bought this truck from a private party in Nevada. He said it passed Nevada emissions without issue. I get it home to Colorado, and fail badly. Below are the numbers on what the first test was;

HC GPM: Reading - 2.64 Limit - 1.20

NOx GPM: Reading - 4.33 Limit - 2.00

CO GPM: VERY close on this one as well. Limit is 15.0 and I was 14.5

It was proposed and I also thought that maybe the truck had a tune on it I did not know about. So, I purchased an SCT tuner from Torrie with a stock tune on it. I install the tune, put in some 85 octane to get a hotter burn, went out and drove the piss out of the truck to get it hot and went for a re-test. The results are below....

HC GPM: Reading - 2.72 Limit 1.20

NOx GMP: Reading - 4.61 Limit 2.0

CO GPM: Reading 17.33 Limit 15.0

So, now I'm lost. The only thing I can think that's causing this is the high flow cats. The oil is a bit old, right at 3,000 miles so I can change that but I don't think it's going to make a major change.

On a previous vehicle I had to dump in half a gallon of denatured alky into 10 gallons of gas and it passed. I wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts or ideas on what I could do to try and lower the numbers. Thanks for your help!

Headers and hi flow cats......If im not mistaken you probley only have 2 high flow cats correct? Truck came stock with 4 cats.....

I just passed Massachusetts emissions (which are tuff) 2 weeks ago. This was my first emissions check since I put the mods in. Mine is also tuned by Torrie and I left my tune on the 93 tune just to see if it would pass ( I always run the 93 tune and obviously run nothing besides 93 octane... always!) I also only have 2 hi-flow cats, make sure Torrie shuts off your rear 2 cats in your tune!!!

Hi,

can you check with the previous owner, how old the cats are ?
What is the diametre of the cats and is it a 200 cell or even a 100 cell
race cat ?

With a 100 cell, you will never make it, with a 200 cell it can be hard if it is already older.

All the best.

Arne

I just passed Massachusetts emissions (which are tuff) 2 weeks ago. This was my first emissions check since I put the mods in. Mine is also tuned by Torrie and I left my tune on the 93 tune just to see if it would pass ( I always run the 93 tune and obviously run nothing besides 93 octane... always!) I also only have 2 hi-flow cats, make sure Torrie shuts off your rear 2 cats in your tune!!!

Thanks Stealth. Do you remember what your numbers were?

Hi,

can you check with the previous owner, how old the cats are ?
What is the diametre of the cats and is it a 200 cell or even a 100 cell
race cat ?

With a 100 cell, you will never make it, with a 200 cell it can be hard if it is already older.

All the best.

Arne

I am the third owner, and the first owner is the one that did the mods so I doubt I could track him down.

At this point I'll try the denatured alcohol, if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to put on a second set of cats.

Any other thoughts? Thanks everyone.

Thanks Stealth. Do you remember what your numbers were?

No I dont, and I can't seem to find my print out. I wonder if it has anything to do with elevation? Im only at 1000' above sea level. I can only assume that you are much higher in CO. Maybe your tune is way to rich???

Maybe someone on here can borrow you the original exhaust for the test and just put back your system, once you passed it.

To put addiditonal 2 cats may give you the right results but will give you problems on the other hand as the second cats in the normal configuration are smaller than the front cats.

If we run into trouble with our emission test, we just take the same car from a friend with serial configuration and with our number plates and pass it :D

I dont know, if this would work on your end...

I change the cats to stock ones and that will do it.. pm me ur info so we can gathered up sometime I got some friends that own 10s also

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back