Exhaust sounds like a rice-burner-HELP

SERPENT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We built the motor this winter and after a number of dyno pulls the exhaust note sounds like one of those fart boxes on a civic. The truck has Bassani headers, X-metal catless mids, ansd a Magnaflow catback. At over 3000 rpm the exhaust sounds shrill. At idle it sounds great --a little lumpy with the cam but good. Question-- Is it possible to blow out the baffles on the Magnaflow so that the exhaust note changes ? What else could have happened ? What is your suggestion going forward? Billy Boats ,Flowmasters, what can take some punishment? Your help and thoughts verty much appreciated.

We built the motor this winter and after a number of dyno pulls the exhaust note sounds like one of those fart boxes on a civic. The truck has Bassani headers, X-metal catless mids, ansd a Magnaflow catback. At over 3000 rpm the exhaust sounds shrill. At idle it sounds great --a little lumpy with the cam but good. Question-- Is it possible to blow out the baffles on the Magnaflow so that the exhaust note changes ? What else could have happened ? What is your suggestion going forward? Billy Boats ,Flowmasters, what can take some punishment? Your help and thoughts verty much appreciated.

Alot of the note change is simply from the cam swap. You've totally changed the valve opening/closing events and not only does it change at idle for the better, but changes the note through the entire range. I prefer most of the chambered style muffler such as the flowmaster. It seems it's the tubes style mufflers that have the raspiness.:dontknow:

Im using a chambered Bassani muffler with catless mids and Mopar LT,no resonator and mine is pretty throaty but has an exotic tone to it,not the civic fart can noise! LOL!

Im using a chambered Bassani muffler with catless mids and Mopar LT,no resonator and mine is pretty throaty but has an exotic tone to it,not the civic fart can noise! LOL!

It's more of a what can't hear you tones :D

Here is a drive by of mine; Striker Cam, Mopar Longtubes, catless mids and a Borla exhaust.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbQDcY2EI0]‪Ram SRT10 Mopar/Borla Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a MBRP 4" on the dyno.....sounds way different.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly40Ono4hwg&feature=related]‪Ram SRT10 MBRP 4" Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Yup, some kind of crossover like and x or h pipe work at tuning the note alot. I did an H because of clearance issues with the Viper Side Exhaust but wouldve rathered an X. I am very happy with the sound and I do think a Sticky with drive bys and idling of different exhaust is a great idea. Like all clips compiled into one. Unless I've never seen this sticky or thread?:D:dontknow:

Yeah man X pipe will help alot. but to answer your question, yes some of the big name muffler companys mufflers will blow apart if they are not rated for certain horsepower numbers.

I went with a different company to break away from the norm. fully welded 100% and sound great & people don't really know what they are.

spintech.com

That damned MRBP sounded like a freakin Cessna taking off. Sounded like a prop to me? Kinda airboat sounding?

I had an aeroturbine 3030 on my old hemi truck, it was very raspy. With the quality issues I have with the magnaflow, I have purchased two Cherry Bomb Vortex 3" in and out for my side exhaust project. I'll post sound in video when I get it all done.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back