Extension Tailhousing Bushing

spry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the extension tailhousing bushing on a T56? Mine is leaking :mad:, and is in need of replacement. I have searched through the overstock websites, and cannot find the part. Any help is appreciated. :rock:

Does anyone know the part number for the extension tailhousing bushing on a T56? Mine is leaking :mad:, and is in need of replacement. I have searched through the overstock websites, and cannot find the part. Any help is appreciated. :rock:

You mean the seal where the driveshaft yoke slides into?

And for the record. I guess I should call it a tailshaft bushing, like 99% of the planet.

Nope. I've replaced the seal a couple times, and it still leaks. According to ls1tech, it's the bushing, or the yoke, that is usually the culprit. I've ordered a new yoke, but a bushing for our yoke size is really tough to find.

Example of one for a T56.
Rockland Standard Gear "No Walk" Tailshaft Bushing - Tick Performance, Inc.

Picture.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tai...%2Fp%2Fmuncie-rebuild-assembly.html;1600;1195

I honestly don't see the bushing being the issue unless there's severe slack up and down with output shaft. The seal is just that, to seal in fluid. I will check that bushing out though. They're easy to remove/install but that had only been when I've had one come out. Put it right back in and good to go.

It's a pretty weird issue. I've been chasing some driveline vibrations (not the angle, thought it was a 1-piece shaft symptom), and the last time I drove my truck a bunch of the transmission fluid decided to evacuate (ended up all over my tailgate). Hence replacing the seal. Once the seal was replaced, it kept happening. I am stumped, and I hate taking it into a shop because it's "custom".

No sir, no in the diagram I see. Think Dodge only sells with tail shaft housing but I'm asking my builder as I know he has them separate.

I had the same issue. After replacing the seal for the second time and continued to leak I pulled the drive shaft and wet sanded the yoke. Close inspection showed visually where the seal was resting on the yoke but couldn't see any problem (groove) but wet sanded anyways. Slipped it back in and hasn't leaked...that was a few years ago.

Sky, the tailhousing isn't cracked, but I'll give it another inspection, thanks for the thought! Chuck, I like your style, and will check the new yoke as well. I'll give an update when I get it figured out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back