F/S - Volant CAI and Factory Airbox

Heck I was gonna offer you $100 to burn it and video tape it.. casue thats all they are good for,, or they are also good for decreasing your power up to 10hp.. thats a bonus..

Why the Volant is no good ? I hear they are one of the best besides the ugly factory one

There has been dyno testing on all the intakes, and the volant showed to lose 10hp i think it was... The K&N drop in was the best for hp increase ,, the other K&N style CAIs were next.. Volant a total waste of money,, there are also youtube videos with wind testing on it showing wind flow around the intake of our truck, and the intake is actually a " out take " lol.. it draws hot air out of the engine bay...

There has been dyno testing on all the intakes, and the volant showed to lose 10hp i think it was... The K&N drop in was the best for hp increase ,, the other K&N style CAIs were next.. Volant a total waste of money,, there are also youtube videos with wind testing on it showing wind flow around the intake of our truck, and the intake is actually a " out take " lol.. it draws hot air out of the engine bay...

I gained horsepower with the Volant and I hold the NA Records on this forum with the Volant.:rock::burnout:

I gained horsepower with the Volant and I hold the NA Records on this forum with the Volant.:rock::burnout:

Kinda what I was thinking! It has to do some amount of good as I remember years ago we had a dyno GTG when I was stock and I saw QCs put down great #s with only this and tune and headers! The same day we went to the track and they backed up the dyno #s with low 13s on a hot 100degree Texas day. Seems it would have to pick up some flow of outside air and the positive pressure and cooler air vs. underhood should theoretically work to provide a denser air charge?:dontknow:

Kinda what I was thinking! It has to do some amount of good as I remember years ago we had a dyno GTG when I was stock and I saw QCs put down great #s with only this and tune and headers! The same day we went to the track and they backed up the dyno #s with low 13s on a hot 100degree Texas day. Seems it would have to pick up some flow of outside air and the positive pressure and cooler air vs. underhood should theoretically work to provide a denser air charge?:dontknow:

Whom conducted the testing? I, as a member, am going to try this and give "real world" feedback from the track and dyno.

Sounds good, maybe the last testing was no good.. but thats what came out 4 or 5 years ago when this volant was first brought out and they were promising 40hp gains...
Trainman is the first one ive seen to say they gained hp from it..

And Trainman what was your NA run with your truck bone stock,, nothing removed no tire pressure changed nothing different than when it drove off the show room floor.??

I know you love being the fastest NA truck on here but you have some serious mods to that beast..

So the question is do you hold the NA record with a totally stock truck as well?? or just the NA record with a mega modified ride??

My best with a fully stock truck (its been so long) but I think it was 13.12 @ 107+ on street tires, full weight, no Volant. Best ET full weight I think was 12.49 @110, SRTBrad fillmed that run. The Volant was on the truck when I was Dyno testing at DC performance, along with other mild mods (headers, Magnaflow) and Chris made a comment about the cool inlet air temps. You see I use the square opening in the front of the Volant air box behind the grill to let the real cool air in. We used an old brake duct to form a second scoop and I removed the panel in the grill on the intake side to let the air in. Thats where I really get a ram air effect at 100mph + during my runs, not from the hood scoop. I have consistently turned the highest speeds for NA trucks (even before I started removing weight) and I feel the higher speeds I have acheived are a good indication of top end horsepower and the real benefit of the Volant box and smooth air inlet . Best speed to date is 118.15 at Sacramento.

same here

i said it once ill say it again - the volant is the BEST intake system i had on my truck, and iv had them all

Mopar / Volant / k&n / Stock with Drop in / JMB

reason i like the Volant over the mopar is the volant is made of polyethylene

"polyethylene not a heat conductor"

its a waste to put a metal / steel tube on your truck all you doing is heating up the air

that why the JMB didnt stay on my truck (besides it not fitting my truck) and the mopar is gone too - to me it was a waste of money

i have said it from day 1 about the volant - and EVERYONE says the same thing there JUNK - get a JMB well i disagree 100% the volant is a GREAT intake for our trucks - and the sound the coolest too :)

thanks and have a nice day

same here

i said it once ill say it again - the volant is the BEST intake system i had on my truck, and iv had them all

Mopar / Volant / k&n / Stock with Drop in / JMB

reason i like the Volant over the mopar is the volant is made of polyethylene

"polyethylene not a heat conductor"

its a waste to put a metal / steel tube on your truck all you doing is heating up the air

that why the JMB didnt stay on my truck (besides it not fitting my truck) and the mopar is gone too - to me it was a waste of money

i have said it from day 1 about the volant - and EVERYONE says the same thing there JUNK - get a JMB well i disagree 100% the volant is a GREAT intake for our trucks - and the sound the coolest too :)

thanks and have a nice day

Nice Review Chris! I was hoping to hear some more good about it. I did personally witness the power like said and there were no other mods on those 2 trucks.

yup, loved mine too. cant wait to see the results. are u ettin pretty consistant withur M/T QC

yup, loved mine too. cant wait to see the results. are u ettin pretty consistant withur M/T QC

Is say so! Got runner up bracket racing 1/8 mile and consistent 9.1s on a 9.1;) on street tires to boot. Now I've got consistent 1.8 60s vs 2.2 60s as well.

Keep us posted on the results! It seems the consensus is K&N and stock air box is the best.

Wildman

I bought my Volant when they first came out. I can't really feel any seat of the pants difference but the sound was worth the money alone. I too cannot see how an extra air inlet could hurt performance. I will keep mine on the truck. I love it. Buy the way I couldn't really feel any difference in performance when I added the performance computer that was suppose to add 40HP and 40 TQ. I could feel a slight difference when I removed the cats and added Magnaflow exhaust.

Wade

I am going to try the Volant out on the 3 hour trip to Houston to our GTG/race day and see if any mileage increase exists. I will install/uninstall at the track and verify the difference based on controlled variables like engine heat soak, coolant temp, 60ft time, etc. Plan to to the same at the dyno. A couple pulls with, then a couple pulls with K&N CAI.
I wanna get to the bottom of this as much as the next one.
I think during comparos, there wan't much track testing done so see results at 50-110MPH:rock:

Exactly, the stock hood vent is in a low pressure area and serves to vent hot engine bay air and aid in keeping the front of the truck DOWN at high speeds (ballooning effect).

My best with a fully stock truck (its been so long) but I think it was 13.12 @ 107+ on street tires, full weight, no Volant. Best ET full weight I think was 12.49 @110, SRTBrad fillmed that run. The Volant was on the truck when I was Dyno testing at DC performance, along with other mild mods (headers, Magnaflow) and Chris made a comment about the cool inlet air temps. You see I use the square opening in the front of the Volant air box behind the grill to let the real cool air in. We used an old brake duct to form a second scoop and I removed the panel in the grill on the intake side to let the air in. Thats where I really get a ram air effect at 100mph + during my runs, not from the hood scoop. I have consistently turned the highest speeds for NA trucks (even before I started removing weight) and I feel the higher speeds I have acheived are a good indication of top end horsepower and the real benefit of the Volant box and smooth air inlet . Best speed to date is 118.15 at Sacramento.

Trainmans mods to the Volant box is why it works. Not using the hood vent scoop was the way to go. He utillized the stock high pressure area at the passenger side of the grill to feed the box. At a slight cost of high speed aero's (would hurt more above 120 mph).

The stock system works really good! The only improvement I could see would be a smooth poly tube between the box and TB.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back