Favorite Aircraft/Helicoptors.

KRAZYSRT10 said:
NOICE!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock:
That was back when Clinton was Prez. He flew down to Raleigh, NC to give a speech. Through some connections my wife and I were OK'd to tour AF1 and shake Clinton's hand. Sat in the pilots seat. At the presidential desk and viewed his private quarters as well as the passenger areas. There's even a kitchen and surgical area on board. Asked the flight engineer a question and his response was "If I told you, I'd have to kill you". So I walked off the plane without that tidbit of info.:D

Lived in Burbank Ca. at the ime (10 years old) not far from Lockheed, got to go the plant and checkout the planes bring assembled, even into the wings.
After the crashes ( during the investigations) the wings were found to have bunches of leftover stuff just floating around. Things like tools ,vacum cleaners, old lunches, pop bottles.............did not help the reputation of the planes quality on top of the stuctural problems:(

http://www.enginehistory.org/the_making_of_a_flight_engineer_(5).htm ( read this Squidly)

The Lockheed L188 Electra has the distinction of being the only large American turboprop airliner. An excellent aircraft, the Electra was beset by unfortunate and severe structural problems, and then was surpassed by rapid improvements in pure jet aircraft. The Electra was first developed in response to an American Airlines request for a medium-size short-haul airliner for US inter-city routes. However, Eastern wanted a larger plane, and negotiations led to the development of the final Electra specs. American and Eastern placed the first orders (for 35 and 40 planes, respectively), and American received the first Electra on December, 1958 (although it could not fly the first service due to a strike, and Eastern was left with this honor). The orders came rapidly then, from many US and Asian operators, as well as KLM in Europe.

However; two Electras were found to have broken up in flight (they crashed in 1959 and 1960), and a structural fault was suspected. After a speed limit was imposed, Lockheed began looking for the answer, which it found in the phrase "whirl mode". If damaged, the engine mountings developed a harmonic with the wing when a whirl mode oscillation was generated, and this eventually tore the wing off the aircraft. The fix was not cheap, but it was effective. However, by then the Electra's reputation was tarnished, and many airlines shied away from the plane - only 26 more were sold. The existing Electras continued to boast excellent reliability and economics, and were not replaced until modern short-range jets became available. The Electras were then sold to other airlines or converted to freighters, and many are still flying today. The virtues of the Electra were not ignored by the military, since it was developed into the US Navy's highly successful P-3 Orion and other sub chasers

Last edited:

Attachments

• 050218-F-1234P-074.jpg
    050218-F-1234P-074.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 24
  • Curtiss-Robin1.jpg
    Curtiss-Robin1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_2518%20PA-23%20N1305P%20cn23-345%20left%20front%20m.jpg
    DSC_2518%20PA-23%20N1305P%20cn23-345%20left%20front%20m.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here is one I worked on and filmed th first flight at Flabob field in Rubidoux Ca.

Museum of Flight, Boeing Field, Seattle WA.

With its mid-wing monoplane design and distinct comma tail, Fokker's E-series fighter is of the most recognizable aircraft of World War I. The Fokker E.III Eindecker -- meaning "single wing" -- was born when a machine gun and relatively dependable interrupter gear were mated with an existing airplane.

The E.III deserves a significant place in aviation history, not necessarily because of its aerial prowess, but because it was the first combat aircraft in the world to be equipped with a forward-firing, fixed machine gun synchronized to fire between the propeller blades. Looking back, however, historians note the result was nothing too amazing. The Eindecker was notoriously weak structurally and the firing mechanism was prone to failure _ sometimes causing a pilot to blow off his own propeller! But seen in the context of the air war at the time -- in the last days of 1915 -- the Eindecker meant everything.

German flyers like Max Immelmann and Oswald Boelcke flew these Fokker Eindeckers, hunting Allied machines and developing the groundwork of the fighter tactics that are still employed today.

The Museum's Fokker E.III was built in 1981 by Jim and Zona Appleby ( I think Rebuilt unless this is a newer one I was about 12 when I worked / filmed it)
http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/fokker-eiii-reproduction

Attachments

• Eiendecker.bmp
    488.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
attachment.php

Probably my Dad flying that there!
Glad He made it home

Azmotorhead said:
attachment.php

Probably my Dad flying that there!
Glad He made it home
Me to:rock: Guys like him help save lot of backsides:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Azmotorhead said:
N494TW-1997-1.jpg

Best Classiest Aircraft ever! Period!

Did ya see this???
This has some really good Low flying scenes @ 3:54 Please Do Watch

Crawled all over these things when I was a kid, my old man was a Pilot for TWA after piloting B17's ( retired from the Air Force in the 70's)
Spent a lot of time on MATS planes
Constellations - Lockheed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNYs...eature=related

Boeing 707 Baby! That's where it is at!

Mine in this order....

P51 Mustang
F14 Tomcat
P47 Thunder Bolt
F86 Saber

All PURE Fighters.... No Multi Mission Carp on these babies... though some were moded to do other things they remained fighters... :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back