FIRE CAUSED BY OIL COOLER LINES

FastSRT19

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short, a guy from my area (who has been on here before, but has not posted) took his truck out for a spin, parked it back in his garage, and went inside. After a few minutes he heard a "pop" and went to investigate...he observed the passenger side front area of his 05 RC involved in fire. The truck and home were destroyed. His ins co. hired an expert fire investigator who determined the fire started on the passenger side of the engine compartment in the area of the oil cooler. Invest is still ongoing, with legal action against Dodge in the near future. The truck was stock besided an aftermarket shifter (which the handle is still visible). Everyone should inspect the oil cooler lines ASAP and be careful of parking inside after a drive.

fire32.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire22.jpg

s#*t. man that was a fire. sorry to hear about the truck & house

man i hate to see that. either the hose part of the line might have split or one of the fittins was leakin.

hope Dodge takes up the butt over them POS quality oil cooler lines

This is the email he sent me...

Good to finally catch up yesterday so I could share the story with you. The attached summarize it all. Will send under separate cover another email containing the threads found on line related to the issue. Apparently it is pretty wide spread and as we saw on your oil line yesterday, leaks around that coupling. Would suggest being careful to park it while hot in a confined space – that is what triggered my chaos.

Anyone changed their oil lines? I was thinking of buying the new ones and installing if not to bad of a project?

kickinassrt-10 said:
Anyone changed their oil lines? I was thinking of buying the new ones and installing if not to bad of a project?

Not a hard job at all. Take passenger side wheel liner out for easy access

FastSRT19 said:
Mine too! I think everybody should swap them out...

:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito:

mine ain't Stinker's but have been changed/updated for sure. one of my hoses split & pissed out 4 qts in no time.

screw warranty unless they will reinburse ya

kickinassrt-10 said:

yes. even have photos on here some whar.

very great peice of mind & no mess:rock: :rock: :rock:

kickinassrt-10 said:
I would imagine that the best time to do this is during an oil change?

yep. pull the filter & it drains the cooler. way less mess:rock: :rock: :rock:

FastSRT19 said:
Long story short, a guy from my area (who has been on here before, but has not posted) took his truck out for a spin, parked it back in his garage, and went inside. After a few minutes he heard a "pop" and went to investigate...he observed the passenger side front area of his 05 RC involved in fire. The truck and home were destroyed. His ins co. hired an expert fire investigator who determined the fire started on the passenger side of the engine compartment in the area of the oil cooler. Invest is still ongoing, with legal action against Dodge in the near future. The truck was stock besided an aftermarket shifter (which the handle is still visible). Everyone should inspect the oil cooler lines ASAP and be careful of parking inside after a drive.

fire32.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire22.jpg

think this ought to be made one of them sticky things??????
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Damn, I bet the wing didn't survive that one!!!:confused: :eek:

Glad no one was hurt!!

Hope you get to sue the hell out of daimler chrysler!!

Taking into consideration the location of the oil lines, what would any leaking oil come into contact with that would be hot enough to cause synthetic oil to reach its flash point?:dontknow:

On another vehicle It leaked oil from the valve cover straight onto the header without flashing, but on our trucks this would not happen because the lines are below the exhaust even if they were hot enough.:confused: Something about this doesn't make sense.:hmmmm2:

Last edited:

The flash point for synthetic oil is well over 400F. How could this happen?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back