Fire Sucks!

tinygiants

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Tuesday I got a call from my girls. Our house was on Fire!

The girls had just returned home from school to find smoke comming from the master bedroom window. Upon entering the house they found flames to large for them to control. They were able to get the dogs and cats out of the house. The fire department was quick to respond, and had the fire out with in 20 minutes.

No one (including dogs, cats, and snakes) was hurt.

The fire started in the light on my saltwater aquarium. It caused a failure in some of the hang on back equipment that soon led to the whole fiery mess falling to the floor behind the tank.

The fire inspector feels the fire had been going about 20 minutes by the time my girls found it.

The actual damage to the house is minimal compared to what could have been. The real damage comes from smoke. I am amazed at how far and wide that damage spread. Luckily all of our bedroom doors are kept closed, so the majority of the damage was in the bedroom. However the rest of the house is being wiped down. The cleaning service has been a blessing, as they have really been on the ball. In fact they will finish with the cleaning in a few hours. The contractor is expecting 2 weeks for his part, and he starts on Tuesday. Then the floors, and all will be back to normal.

In the mean time, I am trying to get my fish a new home as he did survive the fire. I may take this opportunity to set back up my 90 gallon tank instead of replacing the small tank he was in.

And just like my trials last year, my friends have been great. I have a family of 7. So finding a home for my herd is a task. Luckily one of my great friends has a lake front home that is built for company. He took us in over the last 3 days and made us feel welcome. True friends are really my biggest blessing in my life.

Of course I have to take a moment to give the Glory to God. It was by his blessing that the schedule worked like it did on Tuesday. Normally the girls would not have been home for another 1 1/2 hours. The house and pets would likely have been lost.

Have faith in people, they are better than we assume. There are bad seeds, but there are great ones as well.

man that oculd have been bad!.. i wish you were closer.. i'd take in your fishys for while until the new tank is set up!.. i love my saltwater tank

Thanks for the kind words, well wishes and offers. We truly are blessed with good fortune and great friends.

My wife is a bit stressed. I am looking at it as an opportunity to fix and organize some things. Since we have to replace the doors in the master, we are moving one of them to a better location. Since we have to paint, we are painting colors we want. Since we need new floors, we are gonna get what we want. So I really am taking this as an opportunity. The loss was really only one of inconvenience.

Recovery is really only a few weeks away. After my year last year, this is nothing.

Thank God no lives were lost..... Fire still sucks...

God bless you all, Dale....

D

i am sorry to hear about there - glad to hear everthing is ok...

"Stuff" can be Replaced... Lives Can't.... So Happy Everyone was safe !!!!

Now just let the insurance company do their job...

Did you have one of those Metal Hylide(?) lamps hanging over an open tank? Anyhow, glad your ok, you said you were suprised how fast the damage happened, just a quick note, "Fire Spread" doubles every 30 seconds, so it doesnt take long for a small fire to turn into an out of control fire. I have been in the fire service for almost 16 years, and have seen just about everything from candles and wall outlets starting fires, to murder and someone setting fire to the house to cover the crime. Again glad your ok and everything will be back to normal in a matter of time.

I'm with everyone else... glad that no one was even injured!

Your attitude is one that we should all emulate!

God Bless!

sry to hear bout that glad everyone is alright! just keep a positive attitude and all will be good

Good thing no one was hurt and ur house wasn't a complete loss!!

On a side note I have a 80 gal saltwater tank. What is the initial start up cost?I only have the tank. Been wanting to hook it up bit not start then realize it's going to set back $1000 or so. You can pm me. Sorry for sidetracking the thread.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back