flywheel chatter?

earl lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the stock flywheel are they noisy in general? Im just curious if its time to change mine out. Thanks

That's a good question. I've noticed that mine is pretty loud so I'm curious myself.

Flywheels aren't noisy. It would be the clutch/pressure plate/bearing. But, like brakes to a rotor, clutches eat at the flywheel and possible glazing of flywheel which could cause chattering.
I like to put truck in 4th, rev up like you're about to launch a race, then dump the clutch a few seconds and clutch in. Do this a couple times in a row only for the couple/few second. Obviously truck won't lurch forward with aggression and rather slip clutch. This action will often clean the glazing off and give you a normal, biting cluch grab without chatter

Can you describe the noise?

I'll make a video but it sounds like something rattling around.

My clutch is new well fairly new (put in last year) but the noise is the same even before it was replaced. Ive replaced everything except the flywheel. I also put in another OE clutch.

So assuming the flywheel has never been replaced it has 85k on it now. I dont have any driveablity issue, it is just noisey at idle.

I'll make a video but it sounds like something rattling around.

My clutch is new well fairly new (put in last year) but the noise is the same even before it was replaced. Ive replaced everything except the flywheel. I also put in another OE clutch.

So assuming the flywheel has never been replaced it has 85k on it now. I dont have any driveablity issue, it is just noisey at idle.

Both my Trucks did/do the same thing. When in neutral, after driving for awhile, I can hear something around the clutch area "knocking" Push in the Clutch and it goes away.

Both my Trucks did/do the same thing. When in neutral, after driving for awhile, I can hear something around the clutch area "knocking" Push in the Clutch and it goes away.

This is what I'm referring to as well. It also does it from a cold start while on idle.

All the parts that were put in to my truck were used so they should be reasonably worn in. I'm wondering if these trucks are just like that.

Thats the sound and same situation. Sounds like it is normal then since your trucks have lower miles im in the 85k range with mind. Its not a big issue it just makes the truck sound raggedly at the light with the windows down. Its like oh gawd that sound is horrible.

Thats the sound and same situation. Sounds like it is normal then since your trucks have lower miles im in the 85k range with mind. Its not a big issue it just makes the truck sound raggedly at the light with the windows down. Its like oh gawd that sound is horrible.

I agree. It's just an awkward noise, because it does not do it ALL the time. At least with mine.

When I hear irritating noises in my truck, I just floor the loud pedal. No more nagging wife, complaining neighbours or pesky sirens! :D:D

When I hear irritating noises in my truck, I just floor the loud pedal. No more nagging wife, complaining neighbours or pesky sirens! :D:D

I need a loud exhaust then. Anyone have a set of mopars with mids for a QC they would like to get rid of or upgrade from?

Ok what you're describing is the throwout bearing normal noise. When cold first off bearings are cold and have a little more wiggle room. As heat expands they close gap slightly, and reduce noise. Pressure plate as well. The thin fingers of pressure plate start out cold and stiff and gradually heat up and expand, In turn tightening the pressure of fingers against throwout bearing/slave. My theory anyways.

It's gear rattle and completely normal. Clutch disengaged, whether in neutral or not, the input shaft is spinning and causing the gears in the transmission to "rattle". I believe this sound to be the reason Chrysler recommended gear oil in the T56 as opposed to ATF.

It's gear rattle and completely normal. Clutch disengaged, whether in neutral or not, the input shaft is spinning and causing the gears in the transmission to "rattle". I believe this sound to be the reason Chrysler recommended gear oil in the T56 as opposed to ATF.

Wait... So we aren't supposed to use ATF+4??? :confused:

I have royal purple syncromesh in mind right now. Tremec says to use ATF, but Chrysler put a sticker on the trans saying use castrol syncromesh. I had ATF in mine when I first bought it and it was louder before I switch to royal purple syncromesh. Thought about going back to ATF but honestly I have no problems with tranny, it doesnt grind gears or anything. Just that chatter noise but Vprpwd solved that.

Anyhow im just glad this noise is normal, I did a search and was didnt see anything so I was pondering.

Chrysler recommends thicker oil, but most of us run ATF for the smoother shifting, myself included. The noise is annoying especially if I'm driving around with the windows down.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back