Football free agent thread

See Seahawks signed pass rusher Cliff Avrill to two years at $15 million...nice insurance since Chris Clemons is coming off a torn ACL from a playoff game and most likely won't be available until late preseason at best. Be nice to resign Alan Branch too...at 6'6 @ 325 he can certainally fill those running holes. But maybe a better offer elsewhere???

I agree about Revis..he's best days are behind him and seems to be damaged goods in my opinion. But I'm sure some team will sign him to a mega deal and probably regret it later. This sounds like something Al Davis would of done a few years ago.

Alan had a few good talks with team this week. He wants to be there and I think they want him...comes down to economics now. Vikings are also knocking at the door.

Don't rule out the broncos. If they can keep mgahee healthy, they'll make a solid run for it

Everyone forgets the Broncos were projected to finish 6-10 before last season, look what adding Peyton did. Now picking up Welker I think just made that team a Offensive power house, they've got something in Denver that is going to be force next season, 4 starting caliber receivers for Peyton to spread it out too. Plus they just picked up DCR to add to the secondary, if the season started right now... I pick them to win it but we still have a LONG way to go....

I like my Eagles basically rebuilding the Defense with solid starters. They needed to return to what Coach Andy Reid and D.C Jim Johnson built, a team full of nobodys, a couple oh yeah that guys, that played with heart and never gave up. Using that philosophy which some would say went from 2000-2008 the Eagles racked up, 5 NFC East Titles, 1 NFC Champ title, 7 Play-off Appearances, 5 NFC Championship Appearances, 1 Superbowl Appearance.

IMO when they didn't make it in '08 that's when Andy started to give in to the noise of what everyone was saying, for them to make that step to being Superbowl Champs they needed to go big, go big, and going big wrecked him and his team.

I like all these free agent pickups, but it almost never works out. Shula even did it there at the end and we sucked.

Paperwork snafu forced Broncos to release Elvis Dumervil...solid player and alot younger than Freeney and Abraham...any takers???

Paperwork snafu forced Broncos to release Elvis Dumervil...solid player and alot younger than Freeney and Abraham...any takers???

Doesn't mean the Broncs won't resign him. Teams can try to persuade him now though

Everyone forgets the Broncos were projected to finish 6-10 before last season, look what adding Peyton did. Now picking up Welker I think just made that team a Offensive power house, they've got something in Denver that is going to be force next season, 4 starting caliber receivers for Peyton to spread it out too. Plus they just picked up DCR to add to the secondary, if the season started right now... I pick them to win it but we still have a LONG way to go....

I like my Eagles basically rebuilding the Defense with solid starters. They needed to return to what Coach Andy Reid and D.C Jim Johnson built, a team full of nobodys, a couple oh yeah that guys, that played with heart and never gave up. Using that philosophy which some would say went from 2000-2008 the Eagles racked up, 5 NFC East Titles, 1 NFC Champ title, 7 Play-off Appearances, 5 NFC Championship Appearances, 1 Superbowl Appearance.

IMO when they didn't make it in '08 that's when Andy started to give in to the noise of what everyone was saying, for them to make that step to being Superbowl Champs they needed to go big, go big, and going big wrecked him and his team.

I don't really think the Welker addition is that big of a pickup, personally. Passing offense wasn't the Broncos problem. Look at what they paid him. They paid him backup WR money, so he wasn't that big of a need, just a luxury to an already potent passing attack. Running game and their secondary are their issues. I likely could play slot with Peyton Manning and put up 1000 yards. They need corner and safety help and as usual, a decent running back. RB is the position in Denver where if you are healthy going in, guys seem to always get injured. And they can't ever seem to find a guy in the draft like they did a few years ago with TD and Mike Anderson.

I don't really think the Welker addition is that big of a pickup, personally. Passing offense wasn't the Broncos problem. Look at what they paid him. They paid him backup WR money, so he wasn't that big of a need, just a luxury to an already potent passing attack. Running game and their secondary are their issues. I likely could play slot with Peyton Manning and put up 1000 yards. They need corner and safety help and as usual, a decent running back. RB is the position in Denver where if you are healthy going in, guys seem to always get injured. And they can't ever seem to find a guy in the draft like they did a few years ago with TD and Mike Anderson.

I highly disagree. One could make the argument that Wes welker actually made Brady look good. I have yet to see a receiver that could recognize defenses as quickly as Wes, and adjust accordingly. Tom's ability to come through in those clutch situations over the years, was directly attributed to Welker's ability to get open. Not only does he create the threat of moving the chains with those constant slant routes, but he can and will burn a secondary with his speed.

The Patriots with Brady have not really had a solid number 2 after Welker. So yes, you could argue Welker made Brady look good. But the Broncos have Demaryus Thomas and he's a legit #1 reciever and a physical speciman. In the last 3 seasons with a mix of QB's, he's done very well and been very valuable. Welker will now not be the #1 guy, he will be second or third. Remember, Decker had a great season last year too for the Broncos. Welker is replacing Brandon Stokely who was the #3 receiver. Welker will help for sure, but he's not going to Denver to be the #1 and possibly not even the #2. Like I said with Mike Wallace and how easily the Steelers let him go, the Patriots did the same with Welker. I think the Patriots view him as only a product of their system and that they can plug a similar person into that position and he can do just as well. Yet to be seen, but I think that's their thinking.

The receiver I see closely related to Welker who was hugely successful with one team and not with the next is Anquan Boldin. He was a 100/1000 guy with the Cardinals then went to Baltimore and never could replicate that success. He was only good in the one system and just average/above average with the Ravens. But who knows, maybe Welker will put up 100/1000 again with the Broncos, but I doubt it. I see more like 60/800.

I like Welker, but he does have some miles on him and a few costly drops in the playoffs and Superbowl. I wouldn't mind making a run to try and sign Elvis, he might like South Beach better than those cold Denver winters. :D

I'm thinking Bush is going to hate Detroit.

haha yeah that one went over my head. I went to Detroit for the Final Four a few years ago when UNC won the title...the nightlife there sucks! And that city, my god it's a piece of shit. There was an Escalade parked outside our hotel room. Had rims and tires when we left for the first night of games...when we came back that night it was sitting on blocks lol

haha yeah that one went over my head. I went to Detroit for the Final Four a few years ago when UNC won the title...the nightlife there sucks! And that city, my god it's a piece of shit. There was an Escalade parked outside our hotel room. Had rims and tires when we left for the first night of games...when we came back that night it was sitting on blocks lol

Our sports teams suck here in AZ lately, but at least we have the weather. 93 degrees here in Phoenix, but I drove the kids a little over an hour up north and we played in the snow, how cool is that? :D

That's awesome. I would live in Arizona, specifically Phoenix. My brother and sis-in-law got married out there. Her mom lives in Chandler. I like the area and the weather.

I just got back visiting family in Mesa few weeks back..should of stayed but the wife back home had other ideas...:rolleyes:

Throw Matt Hasselbeck on the qb scrap heap..just released by the Titans.

Hey Cardinals there's your new field general..37 years old and a super bowl appearance under his belt. Sounds like the next Kurt Warner.

Really hoping that Revis is healthy because it looks as though the Bucs are going to trade for him on draft day. Dont like being in cap hell and dont want another Albert Haynesworth

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back