Forwarding Erumors

Big Asp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of us get a lot of spam emails from well meaning friends who want to save us from the latest computer virus that will alter life as we know it, have a sure-fire plan to force lower gas prices and stick it to the oil companies, save women in parking garages from rapists toting ether disguised as perfume or want to boycott Proctor and Gamble because they are satanic and forced "Touched By an Angel" off the air. Many times these folks are relatively new to the world of email. In their zeal to serve their fellow man, they pass along irritating rumors and myths that have been circulated over and over again for years.

Here is a little tip to those who unwittingly contribute to this massive flow of misinformation. There are several websites where you can go to verify these things before you click on the forward button. Two of my favorites are truthorfiction.com and snopes.com. Their sole purpose in life is to debunk internet whoppers, stories that are too good to be true or outrageous items that belong in the twilight zone. Lately some erumors falsely say that the story was already checked out on Snopes. That way people don't bother to check for themselves.

Maybe if we list some of the more outrageous ones here we can educate those who don't know better and stem the tide of pass-along ignorance. So whatcha got? Remember, this is in the non-offensive section.

What the heck are you talking about Phil? :dontknow: It's on the internet. It has to be true. ;) :D

How soon you coming home?:confused:

Silverback said:
What the heck are you talking about Phil? :dontknow: It's on the internet. It has to be true. ;) :D

How soon you coming home?:confused:

It may be just rumor, but sometime in Sept/Oct 2008

:D

:rock: Nice to hear from you Phil......like John said when you coming home?
I miss our little joy-rides......:D

Quick

Hey Phil! Good to hear from you man!

My dad sent me one about the Post Office plans for charging for email (I can't believe such a smart man could be so gullible).

Recently another friend (just an E-3, so I gotta cut him some slack :p ) sent me one about how Microsoft was paying people to forward emails.

Snopes.com is a great resource to check if you get something that seems a little off.;)

Hey guys! Good to hear from four of my favorite old buddies. Jeff's right, Magilla, I'll be home in September. Jerry, I keep swatting at my screen whenever I see your avatar. My son moved to Murrieta but I'll have to make a special trip to Santa Monica just to cruise with you. Eric, I saw the thread with the sound clip form your truck but didn't have time to respond. VERY NICE!!!! I'm glad it's running so well. You and I could make a small fortune just in the scrap metal we've produced. I see there's a new Hellboy movie coming out . We may have to update your avatar.

I get that Microsoft email every time someone I know finally gets a computer and an email address. I also get that Atheists-Got-Touched-By-An-Angel-Cancelled one fairly frequently. Then there's the backwards ATM pin number or the one about calls from certain area codes. And, who can forget the patriotic messages from George Carlin, Robin Williams and Jay Leno?

I heard an old one again saying that telemarketers are going to start calling you on your cell phone unless you register the number on the do not call registry. This one was wrong the first time it went around and wrong again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back