Front end noise

ltnate3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed tonight when I turn the wheel to the right I here a constant thumping noise...even if the wheel is only slightly turned. As the night went on the noise became more constant. I think it quiets when I hit the brakes but not really sure. Is it the bearings, brakes, or maybe something with the suspension? Oh and yes the noise correlates with the speed of the wheels.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, jack it up and see if you can push the top of the tire in and out and if it has any play.

Yea I was thinking the same thing...thanks for the quick reply. I'm out of town so hopefully I can find a shop to fix it tomorrow. Highly doubt it though since it's Sunday.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, jack it up and see if you can push the top of the tire in and out and if it has any play.

if it just started making noise you got a little time but not much if it's a bearing. sunday repair probably wont happen. basic hand tools can get the job done in a hour or so. remove wheel, remove caliper and bracket, remove the abs sensor, and remove the 3 bolts that hold the bearing in. i did one in the pouring rain on a 4x4 1500 at 3 am. If needed let me know and I can even tell you all the tools you need

Did you recently have brakes put on it?

Over the summer...shop just called and said it's not the bearings. He also said I need new tierods and an upper ball joint but none of that is causing the noise, right?

Did you recently have brakes put on it?

tie rod and ball joints will not cause a rotational noise. The reason I asked if brakes were just installed is I've seen loose caliper bolts cause the noise you're describing and the reason the noise goes away when braking is the caliper clamps down on the rotor and makes the noise go away.

That makes sense...he's checking the calipers now.

tie rod and ball joints will not cause a rotational noise. The reason I asked if brakes were just installed is I've seen loose caliper bolts cause the noise you're describing and the reason the noise goes away when braking is the caliper clamps down on the rotor and makes the noise go away.

Thanks for the help...it was definitely the caliper. I had the tie rods and upper control arms replaced too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back