front right braks locked

Brat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to pick the kid up at school drove the 10 school is only 10 miles from the house,when I got there and let off the gas the truck almost came to a complete stop.pulled into the parking lot and the right front caliper was stuck.any ideas on the cause and fix.:dontknow:

Sorry to here that Earl -----Personally I would take the tire off and see if I could compress the pistons ,check all hoses ,pads, clean them up grease the caliper slide mounts.... check for rust.... and hope the caliper does not need rebuilding or replaceing.....Well heck you know all that!:D
Just fix it to be safe !

If the pad gets worn enough, it can over-travel and lock in the caliper crooked when the brakes are applied.

I think new calipers are like 150-160 each from dodge... its almost not worth rebuilding

Just try flushing out the brake system like we talked about Brat! I haven't had a problem since I had them do it....but, every one of these things has got a mind of it's own.;)

Good Luck Brother!!!:)

had the same problem, 1 of 4 pistons was locked inside the caliper (rust), simply unbolt the caliper, push the pistons out by pushing the brakepedal(easy,be carefull , do not push to hard, the piston wil pop out with pressure, and can be damaged), remove the rust, mount the pistons back in the caliper, and you are gone again without any costs,

I took my truck to get the rotors replaced with slotted and dimpled ones. Upon inspection the mechanic said the front two calipers had siezed pistons. They could not get them back into place. They said it was strange to have a big performance caliper with cheap plastic parts on the pistons. I had to replace both front calipers to the tune of $200 each. Lucky I bought an extended warranty with the truck. Long story short, I think Dodge did some crap parts for a high performance truck, like "cast pistons". This is just another example of them cutting corners IMO.

Keep us posted brother and if you know of a job in Florida I would really like to come home :)

yep just got mine back from the shop , front right locked up and over heated severly , smoking.. plastic or rubber melted inside caliper... so dealer replaced the 2 front calipers and warranty didnt cover pads or shaving rotors $ 1100 job and $ 400 out of pocket ... now she stops like never before , just thought it was hard to stop truck... omg the difference is amazing how it brakes ... good luck bro !!!!! charged warranty $ 225 for each caliper :argh:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back