fuel gauge malfunction?

MacksSrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a mildly strange occurance this morning. I filled up my tank and on my way to work(about 15 miles via highway), the gas gauge never went past 1/2 full? I kept looking at it, tapped on the plastic, thought about the gas cap. Truck seemed to be running just fine though. No other gauges looked off. No error code/check engine light. Went to lunch a while ago and it is now showing full? I never unscrewed the gas cap or anything. I'm not realy concerned, but thought I would post the occurance.

Anyone else experience this?

Is it raining or has it been wet, there is a possibility that the contact on top of the tank was grounded with water.... remember fuel guages work on variable ground.

when you fill up, try turning the key on for about 5 seconds or more, then off, then starting it. it works every time.

No rain. Have not even washed it in a week. I know that is a sin, but it really was strange. Will try the key trick. The whole thing kind of caught me off guard. My initial thought was f'n gas station just ripped me off! But I get gas there all the time and now that it "unstuck?" I know that was not the case.

Thanks guys.

Make sure the truck is off when you fill up. Just in case though I would track the mileage to ensure you don't run out of gas in-case the gauge sticks again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back