Fuel leak---What now?

SERPENT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to drive the truck this morning and when I pulled it out of the garage I noticed a big wet spot on the asphalt where I had backed out. Did a quick sample and came up with 93 octane Sunoco. Unbelievable. Got it back in the garage right away leaving a trail of fuel and then worried that I was taking a chance on setting the garage on fire. When I looked under the truck I saw a slow drip of fuel dropping inside the frame rail about a foot behind the driver's side front tire. Can't see where its coming from but its dripping right next to the horizontal bend on the mid-pipe. Freaked out when I saw that-- Mid pipe red hot already!!! Had to wait till it cooled to the touch and the drip stopped before I felt okay to walk away. Guess I'll have to get a flat bed to get it to the shop. Probably should'nt drive it even the short ride to the shop.:dontknow:

SERPENT said:
Went to drive the truck this morning and when I pulled it out of the garage I noticed a big wet spot on the asphalt where I had backed out. Did a quick sample and came up with 93 octane Sunoco. Unbelievable. Got it back in the garage right away leaving a trail of fuel and then worried that I was taking a chance on setting the garage on fire. When I looked under the truck I saw a slow drip of fuel dropping inside the frame rail about a foot behind the driver's side front tire. Can't see where its coming from but its dripping right next to the horizontal bend on the mid-pipe. Freaked out when I saw that-- Mid pipe red hot already!!! Had to wait till it cooled to the touch and the drip stopped before I felt okay to walk away. Guess I'll have to get a flat bed to get it to the shop. Probably should'nt drive it even the short ride to the shop.:dontknow:

I wouldn't drive it. But, I wouldn't leave it in the garage either!!

If the spilled fuel builds up enough fumes, your garage could be come a ticking time bomb! Get it outside so that the fumes will be in open air!

When the fumes build up it doesn't take much of a spark to ignite them.

JMO

ntw0rk said:
I wouldn't drive it. But, I wouldn't leave it in the garage either!!

If the spilled fuel builds up enough fumes, your garage could be come a ticking time bomb! Get it outside so that the fumes will be in open air!

When the fumes build up it doesn't take much of a spark to ignite them.

JMO

:dito:

i have a paxton on my other truck and it has a high pressure fuel pump/requlator mounted on the frame on the driver's side, i have had to tighten the clamps on the connections from time to time.

FlyingLow said:
Can you take some pics? Is it only leaking when running?
Its only leaking when running. Ive got an aeromotive 1000 fuel pump with about 60 lbs of fuel pressure. I can see the pump and filters without jacking up the truck and no leak there.

I had a fuel leak with my truck as well, but mine came from the the fuel pressure regulator underneath the drivers side. The fuel line split it was clamped the wrong way. More than likely that is what you're going to find a bad/split line.

Last edited:
Scary stuff.

Driveway...for sure...probably a fuel line...have the dealer do it...not something to mess with...once you said you had checked the pump connections...it has to be a fuel line...somewhere near the tank.

I also think you should get that thing in the driveway. You don't want those fumes in the garage.

walbert said:
I also think you should get that thing in the driveway. You don't want those fumes in the garage.
Unless the house is insured for more than it is worth :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: JK

If you put your truck on the driveway put something under it to catch the fuel. 1. Fuel is too expensive to let any get away. 2. Gas can eat your asphalt and leave a mess. Good luck with it.

more than likly your regulator

who did the install? arent they liable?

definitly put it on a rollback bud, dont drive!

it should be an easy fix tho serpent, nothing too serious

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back