Fully Encased Spark Plugs-RUST

SHU-DOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Moved to Reno NV from Southrn Calfornia
Working on a friends boat.

The spark plugs are fully encased in rust. No possible way to get a socket in there to get them out. Cant even see the nut part of the plug.

We have tried
penetrating oil
vinegar
CLR
diggin them out with a sharp tool

Need help ASAP on how to get them out.

Thanks SHU

i think a small chisel to brake up some of the rust the blast it with 120psi air compressor..

Muratic acid, applied with a q-tip, takes awile but will work ( not recomended for aluminum heads)

Diesel fuel. Let it soak a day or two and it should loosen it up. If pb blaster dont get it diesel usually will. Or try the coke theory one thing you wont drink it again after you see how good it works, but it gets costly so diesel may do the trick.

DevilDawg3097 said:
Diesel fuel. Let it soak a day or two and it should loosen it up. If pb blaster dont get it diesel usually will. Or try the coke theory one thing you wont drink it again after you see how good it works, but it gets costly so diesel may do the trick.

diesel fuel and coke.

How do i go about getting it to SOAK? Everything I put on them just seems to dry up rather quickly.

Add it to paper towells and stuff them into the area???

Thanks for the help.

SHU

SHU-DOG said:
diesel fuel and coke.

How do i go about getting it to SOAK? Everything I put on them just seems to dry up rather quickly.

Add it to paper towells and stuff them into the area???

Thanks for the help.

SHU
Put it in a spray bottle the diesel will work its way in there just spray or like you said soak a rag in diesel and squish it in there. I didn't look at the pics first:p if you still can get all the rust to get a socket on there, like jack said easy out you have a straight shot and the easy out you will probably use will be to big to break off and if you do break it off:dontknow:

As and "OLD" Navy guy, I would say soak it in "Bug Juice", which is Cherry Kool-Aid mixed at 1/4 the water, so to make 1 gal of "Bug Juice" you need enough to make 4 reg gals.

I know it sounds stupid but if there are any Sailors out there they will tell you the same thing. This stuff will strip anything down to the metal.

bro 454 heads are pretty cheap to come by. I would just buy another set . and throw in a fresh set of head bolts and head gasket

Da1Chief said:
As and "OLD" Navy guy, I would say soak it in "Bug Juice", which is Cherry Kool-Aid mixed at 1/4 the water, so to make 1 gal of "Bug Juice" you need enough to make 4 reg gals.

I know it sounds stupid but if there are any Sailors out there they will tell you the same thing. This stuff will strip anything down to the metal.

....;) :rock: ....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back