Fun SRT10 Review in NYTimes

OCBob said:
I think the article was funny and I think it was pro-SRT. Just look at the last sentence:
The SRT10 Quad Cab is the truck to end
all trucks, including itself."
Sorry Bob, but that's a rip on the trucks. He's saying that the trucks have killed themselves because there's no 2007 model.

Kevan said:
Sorry Bob, but that's a rip on the trucks. He's saying that the trucks have killed themselves because there's no 2007 model.

Wait a minute.

Didn't someone just post a thread the other day saying that some nimrod named Gary White at DCX had announced that there WOULD be a 2007 SRT-10...?

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910&highlight=Gary+White

...scroll down to where I asked the question about '07 Srt-10 trucks:

What's the deal here, boys and girls...?

SD

Last edited:
Kevan said:
I have read this article over again, in fact more than once, and I still get the impression that it is a positive spin on the truck. His writing style (as said before very Dennis Miller) might cloud that up a little, but he does point out all of the positive aspects of the truck. And truth be told $57k is overpriced for this thing. Hell I saw a brand new C6 today at the dealer for 44k. And that C6 is light years ahead of this truck from a technological point of view. These trucks lack some of the basic creature comforts that can be found on virtually everything else out there, especially in this price range. No auto headlights, no electronic air conditioning/heater, a joke of a nav system (at least the 05), no type of traction or stability control. Now, that being said, I love this beast of mine, but it isn't all good, and I could have purchased more for less in a sense, save the Viper motor.

Just because he points out some of the obvious flaws of the vehicle, it isn't a kick in the balls. It sounds to me like he enjoyed the hell out of driving the truck, but the things that come with ownership are not all good. And I would have to agree with him.

Silent D said:
Wait a minute.

Didn't someone just post a thread the other day saying that some nimrod named Gary White at DCX had announced that there WOULD be a 2007 SRT-10...?

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2910&highlight=Gary+White

...scroll down to where I asked the question about '07 Srt-10 trucks:

What's the deal here, boys and girls...?

SD
Hey D-
I think it said that Gary White is a GM employee. I think the reference to the SRT was just a basic research blunder. They listed the lineup of the Dodge Rams, but somebody didn't catch the fact that the SRT is now dead, at least for 07.

One advantage of the Ram's pavement-crushing weight and cinder-block
aerodynamics is that those are two identifying characteristics of a truck,
and trucks are not subject to the federal gas-guzzler tax. So while the
Viper and its 20 m.p.g. highway rating get hit with the guzzler label, a Ram
SRT10 with the same engine but much worse fuel economy does not. But nobody
ever said life was fair for Viper owners.

:dancing: .... and we can carry more than one golf-bag at a time :star:

:rock:
Quick

Prof said:
Mostly, I am startled that there is someone else on this forum that reads the New York Times. Is it possible that we are becoming somewhat more sophisticated, intellectual and liberal?

I have to admit that the article was sent to me by a friend who knew I had an SRT10 and who knew the author from a previous article in which he and his wife had appeared.

I've been e-mailing back and forth with them today and Ezra did really like the truck. We have to remember that taken outside of the context of auto enthusiasts, these beasts can appear pretty strange...

OCBob said:
I have read this article over again, in fact more than once, and I still get the impression that it is a positive spin on the truck. His writing style (as said before very Dennis Miller) might cloud that up a little, but he does point out all of the positive aspects of the truck. And truth be told $57k is overpriced for this thing. Hell I saw a brand new C6 today at the dealer for 44k. And that C6 is light years ahead of this truck from a technological point of view. These trucks lack some of the basic creature comforts that can be found on virtually everything else out there, especially in this price range. No auto headlights, no electronic air conditioning/heater, a joke of a nav system (at least the 05), no type of traction or stability control. Now, that being said, I love this beast of mine, but it isn't all good, and I could have purchased more for less in a sense, save the Viper motor.

Just because he points out some of the obvious flaws of the vehicle, it isn't a kick in the balls. It sounds to me like he enjoyed the hell out of driving the truck, but the things that come with ownership are not all good. And I would have to agree with him.
Maybe not a kick in the balls, but certainly a grazing.

C6? As in Corvette? Sorry, but my guitar amps don't fit in a Corvette. Plus, aren't you comparing apples to coconuts with that?

I'm trying to find the positives/praises in the article, but they're just not showing up. I'm not saying the truck is all roses and yellow brick road, but I can easily point out several good points.
In less than 2 sentences.
Without any semi-obscure references....or smart-ass comments.
Rachel, however, liked the "whale oil & panda tears" line.

That's great that Erza liked the truck. Maybe next time he'll write an impartial article about it.

Had a little time tonight, and did a quick pic for Erza.
I thought the rest of you would enjoy it as well. :D

Attachments

• srt10gaspump.jpg
    srt10gaspump.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 27
The only thing that would make this thread better is Dennis Leary's song. "I'm an ASSHOLE" playing in the background!!!:D

Another slight error, the nav system DOES autodim, you just need to make sure that the interior dimmer dial is turned just past the second click.

There is a first click that makes the interior lights full power all the time, and then a second detent that makes the lights full power, but the Nav system dim with headlights on.

cgperry said:
I have to admit that the article was sent to me by a friend who knew I had an SRT10 and who knew the author from a previous article in which he and his wife had appeared.

I've been e-mailing back and forth with them today and Ezra did really like the truck. We have to remember that taken outside of the context of auto enthusiasts, these beasts can appear pretty strange...

Yeah.. I hear ya.. my boss and the department VP, keeps giving me a hard time refercing the movie - Back to Future, they keep mentioning that its powered by a flux capacitor that produces 1.2 jigawatts of power, and wondering if I have actually ever left 2 trails of fire behind me...

Here's my favorite quote:

The tailgate spoiler gets my vote as the new reference to complete the
phrase "As American as ..."

We are a people who create downforce-producing aerodynamic devices for
pickup trucks, because our pickup trucks go so fast that they'd otherwise
fly right into the air like the magic car in "Harry Potter and the Chamber
of Secrets."

You listening, Al Qaeda? You may as well just give up right now.

SD

Hey, cgperry:

Do you REALLY own these "other" cars?

* 99 Lamborghini Diablo VT
* 98 Ferrari F355 Spider
* 87 Ferrari Testarossa

If so, let me know if you need someone to give them a hand wash and a quick spin dry around the block! Awesome, dude!!!! :party:

Well, it's quite a trip from San Fran to Charleston, but I'm always up for some help detailing. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement...

Attachments

• 3 at Davids.JPG
    3 at Davids.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 83
azpyroguy said:
Another slight error, the nav system DOES autodim, you just need to make sure that the interior dimmer dial is turned just past the second click.

There is a first click that makes the interior lights full power all the time, and then a second detent that makes the lights full power, but the Nav system dim with headlights on.

It depends on the setting. You can have it bright all the time by the options in the nav unit.

cgperry said:
Well, it's quite a trip from San Fran to Charleston, but I'm always up for some help detailing. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement...
Which one is your favorite..... I personally did not like driving the Diablo as much as Spider I also did not fit to well (6ft 3")and I hate driving Stick but was impressed with being able to cruise in 1st gear at what like 70 mph if memory serves me well... and the Spider was effortless to drive and handled much nicer also:burnout:
Also love your choice in Trucks

The Diablo is my favorite by far. I'm also 6'3", so it's a snug fit, but there's just nothing like that car. Happy to trundle around town in traffic if need be, but nail the gas and it's everything everyone thinks an exotic should be. Brutal 12 cylinder torque, unending acceleration, amazing high speed stability and brakes that will suck your dentures out.

The 355 is just a lot different. Definitely more nimble, as you mentioned, and a lot more finesse to everything it does, where the Diablo is the 800 lb gorilla. The 8500 rpm redline is sweet, and the 355 does sound great. But frankly, after the repair bills its collected this year I'm a little sour on the car. Lamborghini engineering and build quality is FAR better than Ferrari, at least for the later Diablos. I have considered trading the 355 on a Gallardo spider, but I think those have a lot of depreciation coming in the next 5 years, where the 355 has bottomed out.

What year Diablo did you drive? There were huge differences from 91 to 01. The early cars were kit-car-ish in a lot of ways. The 99 and later 6.0's were entirely different cars...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back