Funny article, I mean really...

razorbackfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Volt is powered by an electric motor and a battery pack with a 40-mile (65-kilometer) range. After that, a small internal combustion engine kicks in to generate electricity for a total range of 300 miles (480 kilometers). The battery pack can be recharged from a standard home outlet.

GM came up with the 230-mile (370-kilometer) figure in early tests using draft guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for calculating the mileage of extended range electric vehicles, said Tony Posawatz, GM's vehicle line director for the Volt.

If the figure is confirmed by the EPA, which does the tests for the mileage posted on new car door stickers, the Volt would be the first car to exceed triple-digit gas mileage, Posawatz said.

I think it's great we will have a car that gets crazy MPG's but the funny part I thought was the last paragraph quoted. "If the figure is confirmed by the EPA". Ha, so what your saying is if the EPA (who is a govt agency) confirms GM ratings (union/govt owned) then it will get the door sticker of 230mpg. You think that will happen?
It's like getting to grade your own tests at school. Sir you need a 90 to pass, guess what I got a 95!.

I just thought it was funny.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ill belave it when i see it, they still yet to be produced with correct numbers

razorbackfan said:
I think it's great we will have a car that gets crazy MPG's but the funny part I thought was the last paragraph quoted. "If the figure is confirmed by the EPA". Ha, so what your saying is if the EPA (who is a govt agency) confirms GM ratings (union/govt owned) then it will get the door sticker of 230mpg. You think that will happen?
It's like getting to grade your own tests at school. Sir you need a 90 to pass, guess what I got a 95!.

I just thought it was funny.

They are overstating the MPG of course. If you know the technology they are using you should question the numbers upfront. If you drive 40 miles or less a day you will not use the gas engine to recharge your battery. The total range of this product with no gas refills or electric recharge is about 300 miles or so. The tank I think holds about 4 gallons, maybe a little more.

I have done a ton of research on this technology and have a Fischer Karma on order which has a similar technology. The Karma is stated to drive 56 miles on the battery before the engine kicks in to start charging the battery again.

In the future MPG will become a thing of the past. We will need to look at MPKW:)

-jeff

jelms said:
They are overstating the MPG of course. If you know the technology they are using you should question the numbers upfront. If you drive 40 miles or less a day you will not use the gas engine to recharge your battery. The total range of this product with no gas refills or electric recharge is about 300 miles or so. The tank I think holds about 4 gallons, maybe a little more.

I have done a ton of research on this technology and have a Fischer Karma on order which has a similar technology. The Karma is stated to drive 56 miles on the battery before the engine kicks in to start charging the battery again.

In the future MPG will become a thing of the past. We will need to look at MPKW:)

-jeff
And MPB (miles per battery) cost, replacement times, you know, those toxic little jewels ya just seem to rent because they always die when least expected and ya have to get a replacement with a prorated warranty:D

includemeout said:
And MPB (miles per battery) cost, replacement times, you know, those toxic little jewels ya just seem to rent because they always die when least expected and ya have to get a replacement with a prorated warranty:D

I would have to say I think their battery technology is better than most. If you know how batteries work and understand how to cycle them you should be able to make them last a long time.

My three year old laptop battery still works very well because I know it needs to get run down to almost no charge before I charge it again. Those that do not let a battery run down before they recharge it are not teaching their battery how to hold a charge.

-jeff

jelms said:
I would have to say I think their battery technology is better than most. If you know how batteries work and understand how to cycle them you should be able to make them last a long time.

My three year old laptop battery still works very well because I know it needs to get run down to almost no charge before I charge it again. Those that do not let a battery run down before they recharge it are not teaching their battery how to hold a charge.

-jeff
They are better for sure, but they all can only be cycled X number of times even with the best maintenance and need replaced.
Will people fully discarge before charging:dontknow: at any rate I wonder what the replacement cost will be, or if you can replace them if you buy a used car, or will the cars eventually come with a predetermened redemtion value (like a coke can) and how are the toxic little batterys to be delt with ?

Are we trading trading fuel/ air for a toxic nightmare I guess that is what bothers me most

I think they should be looking at small diesel engine technology. Don't get me wrong, I hate diesel stink myself but this engine could be a strong contender.

includemeout said:
They are better for sure, but they all can only be cycled X number of times even with the best maintenance and need replaced.
Will people fully discarge before charging:dontknow: at any rate I wonder what the replacement cost will be, or if you can replace them if you buy a used car, or will the cars eventually come with a predetermened redemtion value (like a coke can) and how are the toxic little batterys to be delt with ?

Are we trading trading fuel/ air for a toxic nightmare I guess that is what bothers me most

You do bring up some valid points Jerry. I for one understand how batteries work, but most people do not. I'm currently looking over Fisker's website to see their comments on battery replacement and their is currently no response to this. I will make this a topic next time I talk to my local Fisker rep and share with all when I do. Fisker was built around being "green" so they must have some sort of plan for replacing and recycling batteries.

The toxic mess can always be addressed how nuclear waste is being addressed. Dig a big hole and dump it. That is not acceptable for me. Their is a better answer and I know smart people can figure it out.

-jeff

jelms said:
You do bring up some valid points Jerry. I for one understand how batteries work, but most people do not. I'm currently looking over Fisker's website to see their comments on battery replacement and their is currently no response to this. I will make this a topic next time I talk to my local Fisker rep and share with all when I do. Fisker was built around being "green" so they must have some sort of plan for replacing and recycling batteries.

The toxic mess can always be addressed how nuclear waste is being addressed. Dig a big hole and dump it. That is not acceptable for me. Their is a better answer and I know smart people can figure it out.

-jeff
What really gets to me is the amount of batteries ( of all kinds over the years ) that have already been dumped all over, ocean, lakes, rivers , islands, land fills, the whole darn country with no real ability to clean up the mess and we are going to add to this???:(

Seems to me we (as a country) can do better than make and sell everything out of toxic materials without first being able to at least render them harmless
If they can make it, they should be required to be able to unmake it before the public is sujected to it.

Why can't we just use hydrogen??? Oh forgot, the oil/ chemical companys won't let it happen:argh: :argh: :argh:

Lithium Ion technology has no memory effect. But one of the problems I have heard about them is that when they quit.....they quit. If you use them in a flash light it will be burning at full brightness one second and you'll be in the dark the next. Maybe they can build in a reserve that will limp you to the next power outlet or have the little diesel engine on board that re-charges it. We will see some interesting things in the not too distant future I think. But what will that make us when we take the 10 for a spin? Think internal combustion engines will ever be outlawed?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4248082.html

this is such bull shit... MPG my ass... where the hell do they think the electricity comes from if you plug your car into the outlet at night??? the electricity is magic and comes out of the sky??? no it comes from a coal burning plant or a nuclear reactor with toxic waste.. and a tiny percent of it comes form clean power wind bla bla bla.. but typically your just as bad as the rest of the cars out there just polluting in a different state than your drivin in...

SilvrSRT10 said:
Lithium Ion technology has no memory effect. But one of the problems I have heard about them is that when they quit.....they quit. If you use them in a flash light it will be burning at full brightness one second and you'll be in the dark the next. Maybe they can build in a reserve that will limp you to the next power outlet or have the little diesel engine on board that re-charges it. We will see some interesting things in the not too distant future I think. But what will that make us when we take the 10 for a spin? Think internal combustion engines will ever be outlawed?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4248082.html

You are completely correct on the Li-ion batteries. I will admit I was wrong on that:( I really can't remember in detail my tour of the Karma computer system but one of the options was power view, or something like that, where you could see what was up with the batteries. Maybe that is the solution...

I doubt internal combustion engines will be outlawed like most might fear.

-jeff

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
this is such bull shit... MPG my ass... where the hell do they think the electricity comes from if you plug your car into the outlet at night??? the electricity is magic and comes out of the sky??? no it comes from a coal burning plant or a nuclear reactor with toxic waste.. and a tiny percent of it comes form clean power wind bla bla bla.. but typically your just as bad as the rest of the cars out there just polluting in a different state than your drivin in...
Correct, you nailed it:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

SRT10VENOMOUS said:

Billshit?? Really:dontknow: I am very much informed where electricity come from and and also very much in the loop of renewable sources of energy that will, if we make the correct decisions, replace those old sources of inefficient power generation. I would suggest you do some research of those options before you post a response.

I for one am trying to reduce my carbon footprint by choosing option I have control over. I can only hope that others that have control over what is above me do the same with pressure from the masses. It will take time of course but does need to get done.

-jeff

jelms said:
Billshit?? Really:dontknow: I am very much informed where electricity come from and and also very much in the loop of renewable sources of energy that will, if we make the correct decisions, replace those old sources of inefficient power generation. I would suggest you do some research of those options before you post a response.

I for one am trying to reduce my carbon footprint by choosing option I have control over. I can only hope that others that have control over what is above me do the same with pressure from the masses. It will take time of course but does need to get done.

-jeff
Like Hydrogen?
mass producing solar panels and home size hydrogen generators would go a long way. The cost would drop dramaticaly and create many jobs

includemeout said:
Like Hydrogen?
mass producing solar panels and home size hydrogen generators would go a long way. The cost would drop dramaticaly and create many jobs

Hydrogen is one of the many options out there. You know that. Hydrogen when not handled well is very volatile.

Using the Arizona desert for solar, windy areas for wind power, and other areas for their inherent renewable power is the way to go IMO.

Job creation in the renewable market is a segment that is about ready to take off.

-jeff

jelms said:
Hydrogen is one of the many options out there. You know that. Hydrogen when not handled well is very volatile.Using the Arizona desert for solar, windy areas for wind power, and other areas for their inherent renewable power is the way to go IMO.

Job creation in the renewable market is a segment that is about ready to take off.

-jeff
So is natural gas and Propane, but I am with you on the others.
With enough solar ,wind power home hydrogen gens would greatly reduce the cost of distribution networks. Power your house car , whatever and no carbon
BTW what is wrong with the Cali desert LOL

includemeout said:
So is natural gas and Propane, but I am with you on the others.
With enough solar ,wind power home hydrogen gens would greatly reduce the cost of distribution networks. Power your house car , whatever and no carbon
BTW what is wrong with the Cali desert LOL

Good start:)

There was a study a little bit ago that took into consideration cloud patterns and square mileage and came up with Arizona. Just reading stuff, have nothing against Cali at all.

jelms said:
Good start:)

There was a study a little bit ago that took into consideration cloud patterns and square mileage and came up with Arizona. Just reading stuff, have nothing against Cali at all.
Jusst jok'in about Cali. There are millions of Sq miles of land suitable for both and there is geo thermal as well. We just have to get past the oil lobbyists :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back