Gas Cap flagging CEL

wo1sjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I flagged a CEL code P0442. I researched it, checked the gas cap and reset the computer.

Two days ago the CEL came on again with a P0455. Researched that and it says to check or replace the gas cap, then check the evap sys.

My question is can I just replace the gas cap with one from the autoparts store or do I need an actual Dodge cap? It's still under warranty, but I am currently down in AL and the closest Dealership that will even touch it is 45 min away, and they can't look at it until Monday....oh yeah, and they don't do loaner cars while they have it. :mad:

Just want to get it fixed "good enough" until I can get back home and have it looked at by my dealership, but I don't want to **** something up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i have a buddy thats battling this right now...hes going aftermarket, i"ll let you know if it works.

You can get one from the autoparts. Try tight your gas cap and disconncect the negative plug for 30mins then connect it back on. If it keep come back on. Have a dealership trace the leak. It happened to me before. P0442 and P0455. I bought a gas cap with lock from autozone. Cel went away then came back again. I had a dealership trace the leak but they couldnt find any so they delete the codes.

Thanks. I think I am going to head out to O Riley's and just grab one and see what happens.

My thinking is worse case scenario is that it will just keep flagging the light. I don't "think" I can blow up the engine by having a bad gas cap. :dontknow:

yes it should be covered under warranty if your under your 3/36 warranty. in most cases it is the gas cap but without running the diag its tough to know. could be a diffrent leak. you could change the cap with anyone you want i would still recondmend a OEM cap.

DRamSrt10 said:
I bought a gas cap with lock from autozone. Cel went away then came back again. I had a dealership trace the leak but they couldnt find any so they delete the codes.

Hope I don't get caught in that fiasco of back and forth to the dealership.

Did they just delete the code from the computer all together, or just just clear the fault?

dragon said:
yes it should be covered under warranty if your under your 3/36 warranty. in most cases it is the gas cap but without running the diag its tough to know. could be a diffrent leak. you could change the cap with anyone you want i would still recondmend a OEM cap.

I would prefer to take care of it under warranty, I just don't have time to take it down to the dealership here (I'm in AL doing some training for work) and I don't want to have the CEL on all the time. Figure that if it's on and a real problem comes up, I won't know without constantly checking codes.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back