Gas Mileage and "Top-Tier" Gas?

SanDiegoVetteGuy

Reaction score
Hello Forum Members,

First off let me qualify this, I am a new member so if I have posted this in the wrong place, forgive me. I am acquiring my brother's '05 Black QC. She has been pampered and garaged. I am driving her from Oregon to San Diego next summer. She is basically stock and has less than 40,000 miles.

What kind of gas mileage can I expect on my drive down Interstate 5? I currently own an '01 Corvette that averages 27 MPG at 75-80 MPH. I noticed that Wikipedia says the truck averages 12 MPG Highway?

Also as far as my Corvette goes I must always use a "Top-Tier" Gasoline exclusively. Corvettes have a problem with gas gauge indicators that stick unless a "Top-Tier" gas is used. Must I use a "Top-Tier" Gas in my SRT-10?

Thanks for your help and expert guidance,:dontknow:

Dan

I get 10.5 to 11 at 75-85 mph in west Texas but remember, we ain't polluted like the left coast is so you might not do as well. :D

If you truck is tuned (doesn't sound like it) then use the tune for whatever is available, otherwise use the best (highest octane) available.

You just may never get back in our ole Vette once you ride in a REAL ride. :chain:

QCs don't do so hot fuel mileage wise. An RC has the ability to get 19-20 mpg highway, but that's with a really light right foot and shifting to 6th gear around 35-40mph. ;)

You should expect around 12. Like others have said, 91 octane minimum.

My QC as an automatic would get 12-13 mpg highway at 70mph. As a 6speed I get around 17.5 hwy! Drastic difference. Add a bed cover, bed full of luggage and whatnot, and I see 11-12

Also depends a lot on how much ethanol is in the gas. If it's the full 10% or a tad more, mileage will fall off. If it's down around 5% it will go up 3-4mpg. The amount in 92/93 oct premium varies from place to place.

--CC

Also depends a lot on how much ethanol is in the gas. If it's the full 10% or a tad more, mileage will fall off. If it's down around 5% it will go up 3-4mpg. The amount in 92/93 oct premium varies from place to place.

--CC
Just found a local spot to get 100% gas. On my 2nd tank & getting 11 MPG average while giving her the oats. 90%-10% ethanol she will average about 9.4

I always got 11-13 mpg when my truck was auto.

Going to be an expensive road trip!

Expensive Trip

I always got 11-13 mpg when my truck was auto.

Going to be an expensive road trip!

It will be an expensive trip, but one taken in "Style." Just like any trip to my local Costco in my White Convertible Corvette. I may be in misery every time I gas my QC SRT-10 but once I hit the "HAPPY PEDAL" and get back on the freeway, I'll forget it!

I don't want to sound smug, but I personally love driving high profile vehicles like my Corvette or the QC SRT-10. I love being in a vehicle that is more powerful and capable than 85% of the other vehicles out there.

I am just saying.........

Dan:rock:

When I was auto I would get 12-14 . When I converted to stick it jumped to 17-18. Now with the paxton I get around 25 if I stay off boost.

When I was auto I would get 12-14 . When I converted to stick it jumped to 17-18. Now with the paxton I get around 25 if I stay off boost.
I also see about 25-26 @ 60-70 with the Paxton. I didn't quite burn a 1/4 doing a 90ish mile trip to the beach but the roads are pretty flat here.

I also see about 25-26 @ 60-70 with the Paxton. I didn't quite burn a 1/4 doing a 90ish mile trip to the beach but the roads are pretty flat here.

Sounds like I should get a Paxton, you know, for fuel economy. :D

City driving with a Roe :D

CAM00898.jpg

I did average 17 on the Pa turnpike for 60 miles but I didnt go over 70mph

Last edited:
Your Drop Kit

Before I get the Paxton "Mileage Enhancement Kit" I do love your 2.5" Drop Kit! She looks TOTALLY AWESOME(SoCal Surfer Jargon). If you don't mind me asking, how much was that "Drop Kit"? Was it all four corners too? I am an EX-Caterpillar Diesel Mechanic and I am not sure I really want to take apart the front end, I would probably just have some one with the equipment and lift to do it.

Thanks!

Dan:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back