Gen4 car

tim simmons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just need to know if anyone knows a trick to get the stub axle out of the differential on a gen 4 viper. Some feed back would be appreciated.

Apparently its really easy.
Remove tire.
Loosen large nut on end of half shaft
Remove caliper
Remove "e" brake caliper.
Remove rear toe link from upright.
Remove the two bolts holding upper arm in place.
Pull on upper arm towards you and axle will pop off stub axle. (may require a light tap from plastic hammer).
After it pops off stub axle, remove other end from upright.

Reverse to install.

Apparently its really easy.
Remove tire.
Loosen large nut on end of half shaft
Remove caliper
Remove "e" brake caliper.
Remove rear toe link from upright.
Remove the two bolts holding upper arm in place.
Pull on upper arm towards you and axle will pop off stub axle. (may require a light tap from plastic hammer).
After it pops off stub axle, remove other end from upright.

Reverse to install.

I thought that was the process for the Gen 3 differential. I'm trying to remember what the main difference is but I know the Gen 4 doesn't come apart nearly as easy as the Gen 3.

I have the diff out of the car. That part was super easy. I cant get the stub out of the diff. I am working on a 2009 viper.

The 08 and early 09 cars had a non tapered clip that holds the stub axle into the diff. Quoting that from someone else....

I read that too. They should just pop out from what i hear. But i havent had any luck yet. My differential looks good and i want to reuse it. I dont like the fact that i takes so much pressure to pop out the stubs. When and if i get them out I'll share the info

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back