Got my tonneau cover but i am still wingless

SRT911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello,

after waiting one year, i've got the tonneau cover for my SRT10 mounted on Friday. It's a hydraulically controlled TOPUP-cover, and it's very cool to see it going up and down. I'll take pics, when the weather is better. The snow is returning to us.
I was looking forward to drive with wing again, but my wing does not fit onto the cover :( because the cover is rounded at the side and not flat.
Is there any other good looking wing to get anywhere, or have i to cut away a piece in the mid of the wing and glue it together again?

best regards

SRT911

The wing that comes on the mopar cover is shorter I think...

Just a minor correction here:
The LT Sport XTreme flat does not come with a wing, it is made so it is wide enough to mount your existing wing onto the cover.

LazerLite said:
Just a minor correction here:
The LT Sport XTreme flat does not come with a wing, it is made so it is wide enough to mount your existing wing onto the cover.

They dont? :dontknow: So thats means they are only selling the tonneau cover so i can install the wing on it??

it depends on what type of cover you have. did you get a factory SRT 10 tonneau cover. then there is a kit for a wing on them. if you did not then is sounds like mod central.

i did change the origin wing to fit the cover. Think about 2 inch less wide.
Here you go : track carefully the positions to cut equal from the middle. I cut it with a saw ( jig saw ?? ) you know a hand tool with a litle blade going up and down...
Remove the inner filler ( foam ) from the cut away piece and both pieces a 1 inch.
Mold with the cutaway piece a inner profile with epoxy ( as used on boats )
This gives you a perfect alignement piece to fit in the 2 halfs again glued with some epoxy . The litle line which rest i worked out with a tin stripe black rubber as used on teak decks . You only see it if you know it ! Didn't had to repaint anything !
PS i also drilled 2 holes in the epoxy mold to hold 2 stainless tubes protuding each side some 3 inch which i forced into the foam of the 2 halfs again with epoxy ... don't even know if that was necessary...
up till now it holds perfect ... even at 150 mph... :D

hope can help you ... :)

DRamSrt10 said:
They dont? :dontknow: So thats means they are only selling the tonneau cover so i can install the wing on it??
Correct.
You'll need to add your own wing (easy to do....4 holes).

be careful about drilling holes. snuglid tried to void my warranty because i installed the wing. they eventually gave in with some pressure

ramsrt.jpg

I had the same problem. I wanted to go with the stock wing but it just wouldnt fit. But there are several places online that sell wings like this that even paint it to match factory colors.
MYuGiOh Motorsports has the same wing on his, he's probably got some better pictures if you want to check his out.

Portland- it looks great!

I talked to the owner of LaserLite today. Those guys are very cool and are really good about customer service.

My wing fits perfectly on the cover. The SRT-10 wings are NOT all the same when it comes to hole mounting dimensions. The previous owner of my top drilled them for his wing, and I had to elongate the holes a little to fit mine properly (5 minutes with the Dremel).

Now it sits perfectly centered, and square along the back edge. The corner radius' are almost identical. Looks factory.

NOTE: If you go with the LaserLite cover, get (4) extra mounting bolts from a Dodge dealer. Once the wing is installed, trim the bolts as short as you can (to the nut face if possible). This will prevent the extra threads on the bolt from trying to line up with the holes in the bed, possibly denting the original hole, or chipping out paint. Make sure the nuts are nylock or have some type of threadlocker on there (red or blue).

Wannarace's wing looks pretty decent too.
The rice though....no thanks. I'll take it with my Sweet & Sour Chicken though. :)

Kevan said:
Correct.
You'll need to add your own wing (easy to do....4 holes).

Ahh I see, thats good. Thanks. Portland, love your tonneau cover with wing! :rock:

belgiumbarry said:
i did change the origin wing to fit the cover. Think about 2 inch less wide.
Here you go : track carefully the positions to cut equal from the middle. I cut it with a saw ( jig saw ?? ) you know a hand tool with a litle blade going up and down...
Remove the inner filler ( foam ) from the cut away piece and both pieces a 1 inch.
Mold with the cutaway piece a inner profile with epoxy ( as used on boats )
This gives you a perfect alignement piece to fit in the 2 halfs again glued with some epoxy . The litle line which rest i worked out with a tin stripe black rubber as used on teak decks . You only see it if you know it ! Didn't had to repaint anything !
PS i also drilled 2 holes in the epoxy mold to hold 2 stainless tubes protuding each side some 3 inch which i forced into the foam of the 2 halfs again with epoxy ... don't even know if that was necessary...
up till now it holds perfect ... even at 150 mph... :D

hope can help you ... :)

thank you all for your answers.

belgiumbarry,

i had the same idea, but when my stock wing was mounted, the wing was swinging up and down in the mid at higher speeds, and i'm driving my SRT10 all time at higher speeds. And there is no day, i'm keeping it below 120 mph. So i'm afraid of breaking the molded part when the wing is swinging up and down all the time.
Is the foam in the wing soft or hard? I ask, because i think whether it's possible to mold one or two tubes of carbon fiber over the whole lenght of the wing to give it more stiffness.
By the way, how can i make two exact cuts with a jig saw in my wing?

i had another idea: i could laminate a copy of the wing with thicker glass and resin to prevent the wing from swinging. But i have no experience in laminating yet.

portlandsrt and wannarace,

your trucks are looking very good!

wannarace,

where is a wing like yours being offered?

best regards

SRT911

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back