Harmonic balancer

jorgetex

Reaction score
:dontknow: My belt was making noise. Upon inspection i saw the belt was not moving but motor running. I removed belt and the harmonic balancer was loose (wobbling) . Bolt had come loose (hand tight easy to remove by hand). Are these balancers pressed on? I dont see any damage to the crank. Is it ok to locktight the bolt. I dont see a keyway both the balancer and crank are smooth(is this normal). Any help would be very helpful thx jorge.

yes they are...both of my srt 10's had then come off in a 6 month time period. as far as locktight...thats what i did after inspect from my mechanic.

This is the second time my hamonic balancer came loose also ... Last time it was 6-07 and it was fixed by the dealer under warrenty ... thx for the help ...Jorge

jorgetex said:
This is the second time my hamonic balancer came loose also ... Last time it was 6-07 and it was fixed by the dealer under warrenty ... thx for the help ...Jorge

Give this link to the dealer...www.loctite.com

Use a generous amount of loctite blue and it will be good. I still check mine every time I'm under the truck.

mine did that the other day too after washing the truck....i had no power steering and afer about a minute i turned off then back on and it worked fine...i'm guessing water was on the belt when it happened to me??

I just had mine spin off... It did damage my crack. So this time it is being keyed on.

Should i replace my harmonic balancer inside bore looks like slightly wore. Diameter of the hole gets small from outside edge going in. Should it be same size throughout?

Hilgee said:
I just had mine spin off... It did damage my crack. So this time it is being keyed on.

next time jack use some vasiline on the poor boy :confused:

jorgetex said:
How do you key it on? Does a dealer do it?

I doubt it. We are machining a keyway in the crack and the balancer. Then install a key when we put it back together...

Keep in mind the motor comes apart to do this......:mad:

jorgetex said:
Should i replace my harmonic balancer inside bore looks like slightly wore. Diameter of the hole gets small from outside edge going in. Should it be same size throughout?
If you have a dial caliper take inside measurements then take outside measurements on your crankshaft then post up what you get.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back