Has anybody left California?

WearyMicrobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize this is disjointed sorry.

Just wondering if anyone here has left California and been successful and happy. I have lived here my whole life, I surf, I love the weather but the wife and I have been contemplating adoption and it just does not add up, from a school, tax or safety perspective. We have been considering adoption which is what prompted this.

Our states budget and savings suck and just don't see a way that we can get out of the mess. My car taxes are up, my state taxes are up, my property taxes are out of control, my federal taxes are insane (but will stay the same regardless of where we go). On a personal level we do very well but I am paying insane amounts of cash to the state it seems.

I have no deductions other the the house, almost all my income ends up in the top bracket for state/federal. We would have to move from our nice little beach house to something in the suburbs to get into a good school district or pay for private. With the Mella Roo we are looking at minimum 14-15K in property tax, and non of the houses are under say 3K sqf.

It feels like the border creeps closer and closer everyday with all the craziness.

I have been talking with the state adoption folks and the first words out of their mouths are, we would like to see your finances, so that I am not adopting for the 500$ a month stipend. Not are you ready, have you tried other options, do you want help. No help at all, just check the boxes and when we are ready we will get to you.

So

I have Job opportunities in Indiana, Hawaii, New Jersey, Florida, or Singapore. All at say ~150-200K a year total comp, I would prefer the Midwest, specifically Indiana. We have enough equity we could get a very nice house free and clear in a nice school district in Carmel or the ilk. We own the cars outright, travel in the winter, state taxes seem to be significantly less, along with total cost of living. Basically no money out of pocket except for the kids school costs and day to day expenses.

I can't be alone in thinking this, has anybody here done this or is everybody coming to California and leaving he midwest vacant.

yeah I left 2 years ago July and moved to Austin,Texas and it has been the best move of life. No REGRETS!!! no state income taxes and still a pretty strong economy considering whats happening everywhere else.

Indiana Gov't has some pretty forward thinking stuff going on, might not be a bad choice, except for the winter weather.

Come to Florida! Houses cost a little more, but the lack of income tax will make up for that in short order if you are able to buy a house outright.

We have great weather, beaches, and always plenty to do!!

With the housing market the way it is I've heard that houses in Fla. are pretty darn reasonable right now. Many foreclosed available now.

Southern Fla. traffic can be horrific during the winter months. The snow birds flock there when it gets cold up North. Orlando is just about always busy. But coming from Cali. it might seem like a walk in the park to you.

ntw0rk said:
Indiana Gov't has some pretty forward thinking stuff going on, might not be a bad choice, except for the winter weather.

Come to Florida! Houses cost a little more, but the lack of income tax will make up for that in short order if you are able to buy a house outright.

We have great weather, beaches, and always plenty to do!!

Indiana is our front runner for a number of reasons.

I can trade my little 1600sqf 60 year old house and get something like this and have it be ~6K a year cheaper in taxes and ~12K a year cheaper on mortgage then I currently have.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12039-Copperfield-Dr_Carmel_IN_46032_1104583571

Mind you I don't want or need a 7.1K sqf house but that's straight up no negotiation or anything.

I could do this straight up cash if I had to on something like this, which would make the adoption process easier.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1442-Clearwater-Ct_Carmel_IN_46032_1108522598

I do have a lot of family in Florida and both my wife and I current companies are expanding there. But I have never even seen snow let alone seasons and that alone I want to have for at least a little while.

I guess what the wife and I are having hangups about it if we would get along with the neighbors. It would be nice to live in a Red state, it would be nice to have someone to talk to in the neighborhood. But we don't want to come out like invading Californian's and start demanding Thai food or pissing people off.

Last edited:
Man sucks you don't have a job lined up in Texas. I love it here and hopefully won't have to move to Cali for the degree I'm getting, Digital lighting and Texturing for video game and film. Like MoparConnection said the economy isn't even bad down here.

Don't let these guys scare you about the winter in the Midwest.

It doesn't snow much and get THAT cold.:dontknow:

Less miles put on your truck.

Plenty of time to work on it.

Buy a snowmobile and not look stupid.

and much much more!

Can't believe you want to move here!:D :D :D :D

Bro come to Florida...beautiful beaches you can surf, awesome weather, beautiful ladies (you're married but at least you have some eye candy) housing market took a big fat sh*t so you can get a nice house 3K+ sqft for nothing and property will be low, state tax 6.5%.
Places like Port St. Lucie, Jupiter, Hobe Sound, Melbourne are all great places and known for surfing or you could come down south where all the action's at!!

East TN....no income tax....still low unemployment compared to the rest of the US and average propety values increased 8% last year.............I just spent 2 days working on a CA tax return for a client that moved here from CA....more complicated than a federal return..

Tell you what, don't believe the stuff about not getting THAT cold or that much snow. I lived in Columbus Ohio until I was 15 years old, ran away from home and have been in California since. Been back to Ohio once and made sure it was in the summer.

If I was looking to move with the choices you mentioned, Florida would be at the top of the list.

ccfeyh said:
Tell you what, don't believe the stuff about not getting THAT cold or that much snow. I lived in Columbus Ohio until I was 15 years old, ran away from home and have been in California since. Been back to Ohio once and made sure it was in the summer.

If I was looking to move with the choices you mentioned, Florida would be at the top of the list.
:bs: Columbus has never even seen lake effect snow!:D :marchmellow:

I agree, it's a completely different winter there, colder and much more snow, so if I wasn't staying in Ohio you can bet my ass isn't going to Ill.

But the summers are great also, I had to go there for some training for a week in August, first day, hotter than hell, second day, same thing, third, fourth a little nicer, 5th day walked outside the hotel and started looking for a damn coat.

Screw that, I like my occasional snow for a day or so in the winter and the 110-120 heat in the summer here in the desert.

Last edited:
I left LA in 72' and moved to Aspen.

Moved back to SoCal (San Diego this time) in 85. Been here ever since.

Wish I still lived in the Roaring Fork Valley, maybe Carbondale, Co. But that ain't gonna happen.

I could live in Austin...... Good town....

D

Singapore is nice............... It's hot/tropic rains lightly every afternoon. It's pretty. Has great schools for Expats........ But if I could make the same money in America without having to kill myself with overtime, I wouldn't be here. That being said if you are offered the same to stay in the states, I would.

If you were to come to Singapore, Singapore has rules about expats living here. Their company has to supply lodging.

Good luck where ever you go, Cali sure is pretty but damn it's expensive and with the wave coming up from the south, I just don't see it getting any better.

Last edited:
Django said:
I left LA in 72' and moved to Aspen.

Moved back to SoCal (San Diego this time) in 85. Been here ever since.

Wish I still lived in the Roaring Fork Valley, maybe Carbondale, Co. But that ain't gonna happen.

I could live in Austin...... Good town....

D

:rock: I really love Austin!!... the weather is close to cali weather, a little more humid. There is always something going on, always something to do!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back