Help me please

lthlvnm04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was on the way to the movies tonight, Book of Eli is an awesome movie by the way, but my sub and speakers shut off. I look further into it when I pull in the parking lot and neither of my amps are getting power. So when I get home after the movie I check to make sure the terminal is on tight and such and it is, but usually when I hook my main power cord from my amp up to my positive terminal there is a spark. However, this time there was nothing, it's almost like the positive terminal isn't putting off power or something. But my truck still starts and stuff so I don't know what the deal is.
Thank you fellas

I checked the grounds and they are fine, I have 2 seperate amps with two seperate grounds.

Do you have an inline fuse on the power cables?

This factory or aftermarket? Radio and amps
If aftermarket, check the remote turn on. Should be a blue wire coming off the radio.
If factory, I cant help ya much, but someone will chime in.

It's aftermarket stuff, but also I just drove it and it played. Turned the truck off, turned it on, nothing again..

Your going to have to take a multimeter to it. Check the voltage of the remote turn on as well as the wire coming off the battery.
There could be the possibility of the fuse holder is broken or the fuse is almost blown. I have seen this in high amperage drawing systems before.

Which fuse might be blown? I have 2 amps, one powers my speakers and the other powers my subs. They have two different power wires ran with two seperate fuses. It's weird that both the amps arent working.

sounds like a supply and demand problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,amps are demanding but no supply:D

like walbert says, time to get out the mulit meter

Sounds like the remote turn on wire. Check voltage and make sure it is over 10-11 volts. Preferably above 12. I have seen where people just run the wire to multiple amplifiers and a radio just cant put out enough. A relay needs to be in place.
One way to check is take the blue wire (usually) off the amp and use another small piece of wire and jump power from the thick red wire to the remote turn on input of the amp and see if it turns on.

Amps are really simple. Needs a good ground, power, and a turn on wire telling it when to turn on.

So could the amps have run for a year without the relay and just now took a shit? I'm not very knowledge about stereo stuff so y'all are literally leading the blind lol

With electronics I have seen all kinds of things. I have seen weirder things go on. Just check the power and remote turn on voltage. Its gonna be the quickest way to see whats wrong.
If you don't have a multi meter, go find one or find someone with one.
Also, I am assuming that your battery terminals aren't full of corrosion. If they are, clean them. That can cause havoc with more things than just your radio.

Like everyone said it could be a thousand things. Need a multimeter to find out problem. Could be (typically) the remote turn on wire or the fuse holder under the hood that provides power to amps.

Check your fuses - On the amp's and the inline fuse on your + wire.

Check to make sure the wire is getting power with the multimeter.

Check to make sure your (blue)remote wire is getting power with the multimeter[Your ignition switch will need to be turned on]

Check to make sure all your ground are secured.

Check to make sure your speaker are getting power.

Check to make sure your RCA wires are intact.

This should get you through general troubleshooting. Keep us updated with progress.

Hey guys, sorry it took so long for an update. The capacitor I got was somehow shorting my one amp so bad it was causing both amplifiers to not work. I removed the capacitor and have had no issues with it. Thank you for all the help fellas, yall rock!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back