HELP. Need advice on opening a Mechanic Shop from scratch

Greg Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to open an Auto Repair shop. I own a small used car Dealership and know my way around cars but am not a mechanic by no means. I also need to do this on a tight budget but at the same time I want it to look as professional as possible to the customers. My questions are:

Where to get the software for quotes/job hours. Prefer used.

What equipment and and where to buy it. Prefer used.

What percentage do the mechanics make per job?

And any other advice anyone can offer.

Last edited:
Location ,Location Location,,,,,Advertising...Check around and ask what the mechanic labor rates are,,check around for going out of businesses for equipment. If all else fails --Check with Stinker;)

will it be an hourly or straight commission pay shop???
yes location. should help ya if you have a good rep. sellin cars & can offer service after the sell.
what ya plannin on as far as repairs??? oil change, brakes, electrical/electronics, etc. all the way to major engine, tranny repairs?
check local newspaper, ebay & auctions for shop equipment. plenty out there

Last edited:
I might be able to help with the equipment. I know a guy (in S TX) who's got a "junk yard", but it's no normal junk yard. This place would blow your mind. He's got everything... airplanes, hospital equipment, oil rigs, tanker trucks, military equipment, entire hardwars stores....... I've spent hours walking around this place. It's awesome:marchmellow:
I can get you his number, and you can see what he's got and what shipping would be:dontknow:

LoveThisTruck said:
I might be able to help with the equipment. I know a guy (in S TX) who's got a "junk yard", but it's no normal junk yard. This place would blow your mind. He's got everything... airplanes, hospital equipment, oil rigs, tanker trucks, military equipment, entire hardwars stores....... I've spent hours walking around this place. It's awesome:marchmellow:
I can get you his number, and you can see what he's got and what shipping would be:dontknow:

sounds like a great place to wonder around for sure:rock: :rock: :rock:

ZCx said:
will it be an hourly or straight commission pay shop???
yes location. should help ya if you have a good rep. sellin cars & can offer service after the sell.
what ya plannin on as far as repairs??? oil change, brakes, electrical/electrinics, etc. all the way to major engine, tranny repairs?
check local newspaper, ebay & auctions for shop equipment. plenty out there

Well, I still haven't decided which is best, hourly or commision.

yes to all this
"oil change, brakes, electrical/electrinics, etc. all the way to major engine, tranny repairs?"

LoveThisTruck said:

Yes I would like to go there. Is it in Houston or...?

Greg Z said:
Well, I still haven't decided which is best, hourly or commision.

yes to all this
"oil change, brakes, electrical/electrinics, etc. all the way to major engine, tranny repairs?"

if ya got the business commission is great. when its slow not as much cash out of your pocket. but slow & comm. mech. arn't makin money & might be hard to keep good help on hand.
hourly more money out of your pocket & mech. hang around more. lol.

Greg Z said:
Yes I would like to go there. Is it in Houston or...?

It's about 30-40 min South of San Antonio. The dude's got it all, and if he doesn't have it... he can get it. I'll get the number for you

If your just starting out and doing "normal repairs" hire an hourly guy, then go from there. As far as equipment goes: Tire machine, Balancer, parts washer, brake lathe, drain buckets, etc. Go with rotary lifts also, Have them in my shop and love 'em. Make sure to get business accounts with the parts stores too.

GADodgetech said:
If your just starting out and doing "normal repairs" hire an hourly guy, then go from there. As far as equipment goes: Tire machine, Balancer, parts washer, brake lathe, drain buckets, etc. Go with rotary lifts also, Have them in my shop and love 'em. Make sure to get business accounts with the parts stores too.
ALLDATAPRO.com will get you fixed up with all your labor ops and how to basically everything to any car.

Depending on hour deep your pockets are, consider hiring a mechanic who already has a good reputation and could even bring his customers to your shop. Instead of having to establish a reputation, customers will be seeking him/you out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back