Help with clutch hydraulics!

Gecko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck is at the shop getting the clutch and whatnot put in. They just called and said they don't know which shim or shims are supposed to be used when putting in the Viper hydraulics kit. I ordered the one from JMB and I got a Spec Stage 2+ clutch.

The shop can't figure out which shims in what order to use. Does anyone have that answer they can give me so I can call the shop back and get my truck running?

Thanks guys!

So my truck is at the shop getting the clutch and whatnot put in. They just called and said they don't know which shim or shims are supposed to be used when putting in the Viper hydraulics kit. I ordered the one from JMB and I got a Spec Stage 2+ clutch.

The shop can't figure out which shims in what order to use. Does anyone have that answer they can give me so I can call the shop back and get my truck running?

Thanks guys!

I did mine years ago, but there is a thin (1/8"ish) plate that goes behind the slave. Then there is a thicker shim that goes behind the master cylinder to make the pedal the correct height.

I actually just had my hydraulics replaced about 2 or 3 weeks ago and my shop called Justin and he guided them through what was needed. They had the same question as yours. Mine didnt need any shims since Im on a stock clutch/flywheel.

Have your shop give Justin a call he'll set them down the right path. You can shoot him a email to he answers pretty fast.

I actually just had my hydraulics replaced about 2 or 3 weeks ago and my shop called Justin and he guided them through what was needed. They had the same question as yours. Mine didnt need any shims since Im on a stock clutch/flywheel.

Have your shop give Justin a call he'll set them down the right path. You can shoot him a email to he answers pretty fast.
We both called. Pretty much because it's a Spec clutch and not centerforce or stock he can't give me much help. I think I might just go with the stock hydraulics so that I don't have to worry about whether or not it's going to last.

no directions or specs to follow for pedal height?
No directions came with the hydraulics. Justin just told us to use whatever Spec wants as clearance for the throw out bearing. Spec said they use OEM clearances. I just don't want to mess it up this first time so if I use the OEM hydraulics then I think I'll be ok.

I guess I might have some Viper hydraulics for sale...

Here is what your shop needs to do to determine which shim to use:

What VPRPWRD said is 100% correct.
Have them measure but likely it'll need the shim or will never fully disengage. No high speed shifting, and notchiness during normal shifting.

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back