Help with links or info on the Vipers

razorbackfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't technically a truck question but I felt it belonged here more than off topic.

I am starting my research on buying a viper. I am looking at what year/s would be the best to look at, what to look for when test driving, which engines were forged and which are cast etc.

I would ask this over at ViperAlley but I'm a noob there and it doesn't look like questions like this get answered very well. I've done searches in both forums but haven't come up with much. I do know that some of you have either both the truck and car or have moved to the car so thanks for any info you can lay on me.

What style Gen 1, 2, or 3? What kind of power/overall goal are you wanting?
Justin

JMB Justin said:
What style Gen 1, 2, or 3? What kind of power/overall goal are you wanting?
Justin

I like all the year models so I don't really have a preference on style, I was just wondering if there were certain years to stay away from or to look for. In the power department, it will probably stay stock for a while then maybe a supercharger.

I probably wouldn't like the Gen 1 unless I am wrong in thinking they don't have proper tops or side windows?

I've read that the '03+ are alot more user friendly on the interior and also have the same engine as the truck so they might be a benefit with parts interchange. Did the '03+ have cast pistons/weak rods like the trucks? Did the earlier engines have forged internals?

This link will give you some good info on Gen I and II cars:
http://www.theviperregistry.org/features.php

Gen III cars (2003-2006) have cast pistons, I believe the engines are the same as the trucks. Gen I and II cars thru 1999 have forged internals. 2000 and up are cast internals. If you want to run higher boost with your supercharger, you will need a forged interals engine. You can run lower boost on the cast internals. Car choice all depends on what you are looking for, my 1999 GTS is a very different car from my 2006 vert, both having their pros and cons. But if I had to pick one, I would keep the 1999 GTS.

Quick rundown:
Gen 1: 1992-1996 Roadster, no coupes, can get aftermarket hardtops, windows, but very barbaric cars. Forged internals, poor flowing heads compared to late models. Most have A/C and radio, but some do not, especially early models. All side exit exhaust also

Gen 2: 1997-2002 Roadster, 1996-2002 GTS, More luxury than before, but still pretty barbaric compared to a new scion. Forged internals til 2000, better flowing heads, 18" wheels first appeared in 1999 (the preferred Gen 2, first year for 18's, last for forged internals). 2000 up are "creampuff" models with cast pistons but decent rods still.

Gen 3: 03-06 all, same exact motor as truck except exhaust manifolds, oil pan, and thermostat housing. Definitely more refined than previous Gen's. Nice 5 spokes didnt come out til 06 and they were an option then.

Around town and for looks, its hard to beat a Gen 2 GTS, for long trips and comfort with speed, a Gen 3 is the ticket. Both can be had for mid 30's now.

Justin

JMB Justin said:
Quick rundown:
Gen 1: 1992-1996 Roadster, no coupes, can get aftermarket hardtops, windows, but very barbaric cars. Forged internals, poor flowing heads compared to late models. Most have A/C and radio, but some do not, especially early models. All side exit exhaust also

Gen 2: 1997-2002 Roadster, 1996-2002 GTS, More luxury than before, but still pretty barbaric compared to a new scion. Forged internals til 2000, better flowing heads, 18" wheels first appeared in 1999 (the preferred Gen 2, first year for 18's, last for forged internals). 2000 up are "creampuff" models with cast pistons but decent rods still.

Gen 3: 03-06 all, same exact motor as truck except exhaust manifolds, oil pan, and thermostat housing. Definitely more refined than previous Gen's. Nice 5 spokes didnt come out til 06 and they were an option then.

Around town and for looks, its hard to beat a Gen 2 GTS, for long trips and comfort with speed, a Gen 3 is the ticket. Both can be had for mid 30's now.

Justin

Awesome thanks. You guys gave me exactly what I was looking for. Great info. I checked insurance rates today and the earlier cars are about half the cost of the later models (probably due to nada value). However I am finding some deals out there on '03-'06's. I found a paxton '04 for 38k. I mean damn the Nada value is almost 60k on this thing without the paxton.

Eric said:
This link will give you some good info on Gen I and II cars:
http://www.theviperregistry.org/features.php

Gen III cars (2003-2006) have cast pistons, I believe the engines are the same as the trucks. Gen I and II cars thru 1999 have forged internals. 2000 and up are cast internals. If you want to run higher boost with your supercharger, you will need a forged interals engine. You can run lower boost on the cast internals. Car choice all depends on what you are looking for, my 1999 GTS is a very different car from my 2006 vert, both having their pros and cons. But if I had to pick one, I would keep the 1999 GTS.

Thanks this is awesome stuff. Bookmarked. :rock:

NADA values are way off right now, used Viper prices are in the tank, it is a good time to buy. I would take a beating if I sold mine in this market.

That's why I'm looking for info to get my year models and options straight. I've seen '06's going for less than 40k. I found that my insurance/personal property taxes (AR) are way less on the earlier models but I'm really hung up on the '03+. I can always forge later. :)

I really need to drive both models to see how the operate under normal driving conditions (I know what they should do WOT) so I can better tell what generation I want. I parked next to an '08 at the airport to show my wife what they look like in person and she wants one bad.

only one way to go...96-99 GTS creme de la creme

96 motors will probably hold together better than any other.
98&99 had 708 cam i believe, 99 had upgraded interior

a 96-99 car you could probably put a roe blower on at 200k miles and with a 6# pulley drive it another 100k

didnt the 1st gens have problem with overheating, I remember car&driver did a test between viper-vett and viper was down alot due to tstat housing leaking and car running very hott.

razorbackfan said:
Ok that's new news to me, explain the upgraded interior..

That is why I bought a 99, upgraded interior and forged internals. The link I posted explains the differences in detail for ya.

razorbackfan said:
That's why I'm looking for info to get my year models and options straight. I've seen '06's going for less than 40k. I found that my insurance/personal property taxes (AR) are way less on the earlier models but I'm really hung up on the '03+. I can always forge later. :)

I really need to drive both models to see how the operate under normal driving conditions (I know what they should do WOT) so I can better tell what generation I want. I parked next to an '08 at the airport to show my wife what they look like in person and she wants one bad.

If you are looking for a more refined and better designed/built car, get the 03+. If you are looking for a more raw car with more soul and better looks, go for a gen II GTS. They drive pretty similar at similar power levels, with the big difference being the brakes if you get a non-abs car (the 03+ cars have much better brakes on them). The 08+ cars are the best performing and driving cars.

It all depends on what your priorities and budget is. I think the GTS will be worth more in the long run, because they are the best looking and it is the car everyone thinks of when they think "Viper". Don't worry about the forged internals part, get the car you want and drive it, if you want to mod it after that you can decide how crazy you want to get then.... :D

If I remeber right 99 had a different cam also. There's some really nice Vipers out there for sale. It depends on what you want. Coupe or Conv. Also in 98 I think they changed the dash.

I'm looking at a 99 GTS right now.

all generations have overheating problems / car being hot inside to a degree.

upgraded interior in 99 for genII...(GENII on a whole were upgraded from GenI)

when i say upgraded, i mean it went from a real shitty interior to a shitty interior...its more of a joke than anythings else.

do your self a favor and buy the color combo you want.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back