HID Install Part One

InfinitySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you have read I'm working with the guys at Xenon Depot and installing their HID's, I will be writing up a set up by step with pics, I'm heading out now to start with the fogs. I'm installing the 3k "yellow" HID fog. We have also solved the lamp out problem and I'm going to see if I can make it plug and play install, not %100 sure I can but I think it will be quite close to that, will prob need 2 or 3 small connections either solidered or crimped, you choice. I'm hoping to have the write up on the Fogs by this weekend and the head lamps by mid week as I'll be up in NYC for a Holiday Gift thingy Mon-Tues. For those that have bought from Xenon depot your already aware of their fantastic customer service and exellent products, I'm pleased to be working with them and helping everyone on this great forum. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have. I'll have some stuff up shortly.

Cool. I dont have the lamp issue.. but I had to put relays in line with mine to make them work... the fogs were OK, however the headlamps only had a ouput of 11.7 volts not enough to make them work, so I had to find a source with 12v switching on it... kinda a pain in the arse...

InfinitySRT said:
We have also solved the lamp out problem and I'm going to see if I can make it plug and play install, not %100 sure I can but I think it will be quite close to that

That would make it worth the price of admission. I've kinda held off doing this mod because of the need to "mod the mod" to get it to work (like I don't have enough of those already...).

You'd want to run a relay with the HIDs as this will prevent the HID balast and ignitor from drawing power from the OEM lighting harness and it would provide power from the battery directly.

InfinitySRT said:
You'd want to run a relay with the HIDs as this will prevent the HID balast and ignitor from drawing power from the OEM lighting harness and it would provide power from the battery directly.

Absolutely.. but what I was getting at was the OEM lighting system on my truck only output 11.7volts, not enough to trigger a 12v relay... so I had to source another output... which ended up being the running lights...unless I can find a 6-12v 30amp relay.. then I would be set...

Scott.

azpyroguy said:
Absolutely.. but what I was getting at was the OEM lighting system on my truck only output 11.7volts, not enough to trigger a 12v relay... so I had to source another output... which ended up being the running lights...unless I can find a 6-12v 30amp relay.. then I would be set...

Scott.

i got the HID's light on my truck and i had to run a relay.
my light guy said i needed some relay's because one light did not turn on right away???:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: but in about 3 min. or so??:dontknow: :dontknow: so we added these relay's (that go where the light is at) and that solved the problem. the relay sale for about $25 buck's.
just my .02 in the thing? :D

Hi Guys,

Our kit will come with 2 relay harnesses - 1 per side. It is designed this way so that should a relay/fuse ever go out on you one headlight will still be functional.

JMB Justin recently installed our product and reported no lamp out indicators. You can find his post on this page:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11598&page=5&highlight=xenon

or here is a direct quote:

Here are some pics (they arent the best at demonstrating the difference) of the 6500K 9007 bulb (04-05 SRT10 Ram) kit I recently installed from Xnon Dpot. The quality of the product and wiring is excellent, all connections are weather tight and the relays keep the voltage spikes on startup from damaging the stock wiring. The light output is definitely improved, I haveead about HID retrofit kits actually deminishing light, but there is no way, it is SOOO much easier to see at night on dark roads. The look is fantastic as well!! Install was straight forward, the two thing necessary on the trucks to prevent problems and to function correctly are:

-Supplied XenonDepot ballasts spliced in between the factory trigger wires on the HID harness. This takes a matter of seconds, using either splice connectors or soldering them in, just keep in mind that the ballasts will heat up, so keep them away from anything that will melt.

-The high beam and low beam trigger wires on the factory harness need to be tied together. I stripped off about 1/2" of insulation on both wires, then simply twisted them together and soldered. InfinitySRT suggested I install a diode between the two wires instead of twisting them together to prevent voltage feedback. I will be doing this very soon as a safety measure, but the lights work perfectly regardless.

Best of all, NO "LAMP OUT" on the dash!

Here are some pics he posted:

100_2114.JPG
100_2118.JPG

Regards,

Steve

Let me know when the kit is ready... I am interested...

XenonDepot said:
Hi Guys,

Our kit will come with 2 relay harnesses - 1 per side. It is designed this way so that should a relay/fuse ever go out on you one headlight will still be functional.

JMB Justin recently installed our product and reported no lamp out indicators. You can find his post on this page:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?
t=11598&page=5&highlight=xenon

or here is a direct quote:

Steve

Ok, completed the install, both fogs and head lamps!!! :rock:
Here are a few completed shots for all to view. I'm going to get with the guys at Xeneon Depot and we will post a complete pictorial and guide hopefuly shortly, ie next week. Till then enjoy a few of my pics and feel free to hit me up with any questions.

The last pic tells me you have to take off the bumper to access the fogs, I hope thats not the case. BTW nice lights, I might have to order me a set :D

thanks for figuring this all out....when it is plug and play...or close to it...I'm in....Can't see crap at night...:D

Nowwhat said:
thanks for figuring this all out....when it is plug and play...or close to it...I'm in....Can't see crap at night...:D

It really is, it took me about an hour...

Just swap out the lights, power and ground, and done....the rest is simple harnesses.

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
It really is, it took me about an hour...

Just swap out the lights, power and ground, and done....the rest is simple harnesses.

-Red

yeah....like I said...when it is "plug and play" I'm in....:D

You don't need to remove the bumper to do the fogs, however since I was taking pics I did so everyone could see what I was doing, it also allows for much more working space and no chance I'd scratch it(although it has its fair share of rock chips, time for a touch up). So again you don't need to remove it but it does make things easier, its not hard a few bolts and it pops right off.
As for the plug and play, as it stands right now the kit comes with female 9007 harness so it will just "plug in" however you need to add the 6ohm resistor which can be done with a T-tap if you really wanted to. The high beam wire must also see that load resistor or the "bulb out" light pops on so I have thought of a few simple solutions to that problem and Steve and I will discuss them and I'm confident we can please just about everyone and satisfy their requests.
As for the lighting output, I haven't driven it at night yet, will tonight, but just parked in front of my house the output was far better, wider feild of view and looked much better.

InfinitySRT,

You are the man!

I got your email. Will call you to discuss.

I will do my best to get you guys this kit as plug+play as possible.

Steve

Trust me guys HID's are worth the effort you'll never drive with halogen lamps again and the Xenon Depot's price for this kit is excellent!! :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back