High stall TC

Annu Kumar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called One of the tranny shops that "nowwhat" Mentioned and the Owner told me That the Stock torque converter robs about 30 Hp. I wanted to know if any of you quad guys have A High stall Tc and if It puts out extra power?
Thanks again guys.

It moves your power band. I don't know about it robbing 30HP. Could be more efficient?

I've been hoping to get into the 14s with Stinker, then I will post up my timeslips.

The higher hp is mostly due to the lower weight. Like puting on an aluminum flywheel on a stick. nowwhats was 40lbs when we put it in, stock if i remember was almost double that. It also allows the rpms to jump up quicker so that you get to the rpm in which you make max hp faster.

I picked up a couple peak hp....but the the light 'verter gets me into my power curve fast enough to move the slicks....

Stinker said:
you could be so lucky!!LOLOLOl

NO-ONE BEATS MY TIMES!!:p
I know I am a dreamer.:eek:

The SRT and Cummins have the basically the same tranny. I have heard when you swap out OEM for an aftermarket in the Cummins it can make a big noticeable difference in MPG and acceleration. So I tend to believe it would also be benificial to our trucks. Granted these are two totally different animals Just My .02

Chuck

wyoramsrt-10 said:
The SRT and Cummins have the basically the same tranny. I have heard when you swap out OEM for an aftermarket in the Cummins it can make a big noticeable difference in MPG and acceleration. So I tend to believe it would also be benificial to our trucks. Granted these are two totally different animals Just My .02

Chuck

With a Cummins, the stall speed is to high. You want a stall speed of between 1100 and 1200 RPMS with that engine

And yes, the stock converter is heavier than hell. As Nowwhat said, the problem is that with stock tires when you raise the stall speed it's like raising the RPMs with a manual and dumping the clutch. Loss of traction is the result.

Now it is possible to get a lighter convertor with the same stall speed, and you will gains some rear wheel HP as you are spinning a smaller rotational mass.

Silverback said:
With a Cummins, the stall speed is to high. You want a stall speed of between 1100 and 1200 RPMS with that engine

And yes, the stock converter is heavier than hell. As Nowwhat said, the problem is that with stock tires when you raise the stall speed it's like raising the RPMs with a manual and dumping the clutch. Loss of traction is the result.

Now it is possible to get a lighter convertor with the same stall speed, and you will gains some rear wheel HP as you are spinning a smaller rotational mass.

John is 100% correct as always. All automatics (that are driven hard) would benefit from an aftermarket TC, they are lighter and more efficient. Unless you are changing cams or heads etc that raise the power band of the engine, I would not increase the stall speed by much, maybe 100-200 RPM, but an after market TC is lighter and has less slippage, thus will apply more power to the tires...AND just as important in my opinion, it will run a lot cooler which is better for both the transmission and the engine because it lowers the heat in the engine bay in general.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back