Hitting 4th gear in the 1/4 mile?

VIPER D.N.A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had my first run at a real track this last weekend. Mind you I'm at about 4300 elevation. I think I did alright considering I missed 4th every time I ran! My best time was a 14.3 and that is with coasting through the laser at the end due to the miss. I think my problem is that I was so obsessed with grabbing 3rd that I missed 4th. Anyway my question is should I even be going into 4th? I was shifting about 5500 out of every gear and felt like I could of possibly left it in 3rd to finish out the 1/4. Any thoughts?

yup you have to hit 4th, i've got an 04 with the 4.10 gears and still hit 4th very close to the end of the track

if you can make it across the line in 3rd your launching really badly.. you should be hitting 4th well before the 1/4 so you can add a few extra mph to your run.....

you should be trapping atleast 108mph in 4th....

What track are you running at? Sounds like your doing fine for the elevation just need to hit 4th. Don't think to hard and just drive it like you stole it.

Have you changed out the master/slave ?............I hit 2nd instead of 4th one time...talk about hitting a wall..:eek: .....still cut a 13.6 @ 83mph..LOL..

Thanks for the info guys.

The track is Western Colorado dragway. Pretty nice track, nothing to fancy and you can run all night without waiting very long in between runs.

Truck has stock clutch, master, etc. Just intake, JMB offroad mids, catback and Xmetal tune. I found that if I grab the shifter underneath the ball (stock shifter) I grab 3rd everytime, I think it just makes the angle easier, but then I'm forgetting to grab op on the ball for fourth so I'm probably pulling back towards 2nd a little.

Funny thing is my first run I spun like hell but hit fourth and pulled a 14.9 well over 100 mph. Next three runs I got right around 14.3 missing 4th every time and crossed at about 85-86 coasting!

I really think if I get me shit together I can make the high 13s at this elevation. we will see...

You should hit 13's easily in a regular cab with those mods. I've never had trouble hitting 4th but i have missed 3rd before. And when i ran, i hit 4th well before the 1/4mile mark, and i was swithching close to 6k rpm everytime (maybe 5700 to 6000).

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back