Hmmm Charger or another Viper Truck

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok haven't been around for a while. But basically im reworking building and working towards things but I have picked up a little number to replace my truck for the fun factor. The issue is im curious what you guys think. Might need a poll on this one.

I bought a 2009 R/T Charger with all the bells and whistles, thinking I could drive it all year but that didn't work out to well its a little to fast for crap weather lol. So i picked up a cheap cheap neon as a dd.

Now my issue is should I keep the charger and do work to her or should I try and get my dream truck back in some time?? Whatcha all think? I think the Charger is great but will it ever be a viper truck who knows im curious to what you guys have to say?:)

And fyi if i keep the charger it will recieve a 6.7 liter hemi when i have enough money saved probably a year or two.

If you are looking at it from an investment view point then get the 10. A used 10 will probably not depreciate more than 20% over the next 2 years providing you get one of the "deals" going on now.....might even increase in value some..............the Charger depreciated 20% when you signed the papers and will fall 10-25% each year...

Looking at them from a modding stand point the Charger will be 30-40% cheaper to mod. For what it would cost you to make the 10 a low 12 second vehicle you could make the Charger a low 11 second vehicle..

I have owned an RT and SRT Charger and loved both. A 392 stroker kit does wonders for the RT...:)

ChrisAZ said:
Save your money. That is all.

thats what i was going to write. here is what i have realized over the last couple of years...car are a real freaking waste of money.

The charger is too new to seriously mod like you talking about, PERIOD! So I''l give you my 2 options if I were in your shoes.

Plan A: Sell the R/T charger, and buy an 06 SRT8 for $22k. Then mod the SRT8, and you wont have to remove the engine and figure out how to tune the 09 RT. You could do a sweet heads, cam, headers, exhaust, etc upgrade on the SRT8 and be cheaper in the long run than tearing up your new/unmolested 09 model. And you would have a sweet looking SRT8, not just an RT.

Plan B. Sell the 09 RT & buy a Viper truck, then mod how you see fit. I would take a Viper truck RC or QC all day over the Charger RT.

Every time you buy a vehicle it's like starting a fire using $100 dollar bills. You're just burning money! Stop the madness. You just bought a car! Now, if you're paying cash, I retract my statements.

ChrisAZ said:
Every time you buy a vehicle it's like starting a fire using $100 dollar bills. You're just burning money! Stop the madness. You just bought a car! Now, if you're paying cash, I retract my statements.
Now thats funny.

Sell the charger, drive the neon and save your money buy Melissa a home.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
buy a lightning and save tons of money and go faster:D

Hey Tony....there was a Lightning owner at the tuner the other day....he had never seen a 10 before....kept after me wanting to know what I would take in addition to his truck...:D

TNVIPER said:
If you are looking at it from an investment view point then get the 10. A used 10 will probably not depreciate more than 20% over the next 2 years providing you get one of the "deals" going on now.....might even increase in value some..............the Charger depreciated 20% when you signed the papers and will fall 10-25% each year...

Looking at them from a modding stand point the Charger will be 30-40% cheaper to mod. For what it would cost you to make the 10 a low 12 second vehicle you could make the Charger a low 11 second vehicle..

I have owned an RT and SRT Charger and loved both. A 392 stroker kit does wonders for the RT...:)

Yea I was looking at the 392 Stroker kit as well as the 6.7 swap and drop. What are we talking about in a hp/tq area by going 392 stroke vs me just dropping in a 6.7. I guess it seems to me that a 5.7 block machined is going to be pretty weak under stress. Now a 6.1 liter iron block bored and forged and built specific seems a bit more in dollars but safer to me. I will eventually have the need for more power as we all do and I figure mavbe if i go to the 600hp/tq range on the 6.7 I many be satisfied for quite a while but then again it may seem slow and I will then be looking at that blower option in some time with a block Im not to worried about.

The cost of the two options between the truck and charger is definitely a factor with what im deciding. Plus the charger is a dream to drive compared to the old viper truck but man I do miss my old baby A LOT! But 10's are achievable in the charger for a lot lesssssssssssss! lol

robwclark said:
The charger is too new to seriously mod like you talking about, PERIOD! So I''l give you my 2 options if I were in your shoes.

Plan A: Sell the R/T charger, and buy an 06 SRT8 for $22k. Then mod the SRT8, and you wont have to remove the engine and figure out how to tune the 09 RT. You could do a sweet heads, cam, headers, exhaust, etc upgrade on the SRT8 and be cheaper in the long run than tearing up your new/unmolested 09 model. And you would have a sweet looking SRT8, not just an RT.

Plan B. Sell the 09 RT & buy a Viper truck, then mod how you see fit. I would take a Viper truck RC or QC all day over the Charger RT.

I get what your saying, but the charger i did buy is pretty close to an SRT with the most recent upgrades to the model. Its pretty much only a little slower than the srt model out there with 370hp/400tq on the newer revised 5.7 hemi motor. Only thing really missing is the srt hood, .4 liters and brembo brakes which could be swapped pretty easily from the dealer with no additional brackets ect. Im not talking about doing this build tomorrow either, I will be paying cash for all mods so it will be an ongoing process of about a year or two depending on how the years go.

Fyi: from what I hear the heads on my current set up already flow better than the 6.1, don't ask me why i'm reading this on the charger boards but that's what they say:dontknow:

Prof said:
Sell the charger, drive the neon and save your money buy Melissa a home.

Working on it have to put it on hold due to personal family things may be changing causing certain other options to become available or have to happen.:) No worries Roy have my goals as always. Hope your Christmas was good as well as everyone else's here.

Last edited:
TNVIPER said:
Hey Tony....there was a Lightning owner at the tuner the other day....he had never seen a 10 before....kept after me wanting to know what I would take in addition to his truck...:D
you neer did call me and let me know what happened?

and yeah those ford guys are aweful jealous:rock:

man I dont know, either a viper or a viper truck prob,

to me I really wouldnt mess with the charger, I love my chally and gonna leave it complelty alone, , no probs with it, gets 22-24mpg, runs high 12's stock, and cranks ever single time, and I can go anywhere and not worry.

now the ten is for playing, blow it up a couple times, and see how fast it can go:D

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
you neer did call me and let me know what happened?

and yeah those ford guys are aweful jealous:rock:

If you had come over you could have seen for yourself ya bastage...;) ........Yea, need to give you a call..seems like everytime I start to somebody starts holloring for me.......I will give you a hollar this week but them guys are top notch tuners......that Dan showed me things about tuning I have never heard before....and you can talk to him on the phone!!!!:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back