How bad does high temps impact 1/4 mile times?

AutoXfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was curious, how much does heat play a factor in 1/4 mile times? For example I know a run at 60 degrees vs. 95 degrees - the 60 would be faster but is there an estimate of how much. (assuming the same amount of traction). If this has been beat to death before, feel free to ignore and I will search more.

Thanks!

More close to home, a completely stock '04 on factory tires.

Go to Dragtimes.com, find the DA Calculator, follow the steps to locate your track and weather info. That will show you corrected times as if the air was perfect at sea level.

Go to Dragtimes.com, find the DA Calculator, follow the steps to locate your track and weather info. That will show you corrected times as if the air was perfect at sea level.

^^^Yep....great tool there! And once you play around with it, you will notice that heat and DA have a significant affect on your times.

well bro if you dont know the answer to that question i think it's safe to assume your not going out to break any records. With that said you can always go out to practice launching, make sure your hooking good etc..... If your just worried about beating your bubddy or the guy next to you temps won't matter because there in the same temp! Now if your trying to get your best personal time wait practice now and wait until the fall to get those best times

Yep, Drag Racing is not my #1 hobby (autocrossing is :rock: ), but it is nice to know what she'll do. When I had my Supercharged Tundra I was at 13.3 so will be curious if the new beast is around there. The track is literally 10 minutes up the street, so will take her out when it cools down.

THANKS!

Yep, Drag Racing is not my #1 hobby (autocrossing is :rock: ), but it is nice to know what she'll do. When I had my Supercharged Tundra I was at 13.3 so will be curious if the new beast is around there. The track is literally 10 minutes up the street, so will take her out when it cools down.

THANKS!

damn, a SC tundra ran a 13.3, seems slow. your stock truck should be close to that, sort of close;)

damn, a SC tundra ran a 13.3, seems slow. your stock truck should be close to that, sort of close;)

Yeah, 13.3 was the best I could do.... The "only" thing done to the truck was the TRD SC.... I was on some very non-sticky street tires and had a big problem getting power down through first. I am guessing if I had run DRs it would have ben high 12's. It was a fun truck Black RC just like my SRT, but it sure didn't get the comments and definitly didn't have the driving experience (handling/sound) that my SRT has.

I looked and at our worst part of the evening I was running, I had a DA of 3365 ft and corrected to a 12.7@108.
Now I have 2 crappy factors as you do OP, heat and humidity. Heat sucks, yes indeed, but humidity really kills. We were at
95* @ 7:00 pm and 50% humidity. I've never gotten in a goid run in good cool temps as our tracks close by then:(
My 8.9 1/8 was at 11:00pm 10* cooler but 70% humidity. So the cooler air helped 2/10 with 10* but very humid air.
We actually have a 511 ft. above sea level track, just always poor weather. (heat/humidity)
As Troy said, it affects your buddy in the next lane as well so you still get to squash Vettes,Mustangs,Maros,and TAs!

Last edited:
I had a supercharged MINI and it would heat soak like no other.

Maybe you wont loose as much power with NA, but when it comes to FI its a game changer.

Well heat soak is really another variable. As far as ambient air temp and humidity it will actually affect FI engines less;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back