How big is an aircraft carrier?

I went on the USS Yorktown down at Patriots Point in Charleston, SC. It feels even bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside while your wandering all those narrow corridors. And it's a smaller carrier than the one you have pictured. It is amazing how they put everything together and how all the systems are integrated.

that's a little carrier. it's a kitty hawk class, JFK, not as fancy as the newer nimitz class like the lincoln or big as the longest, 65 or better known as "three-quarter mile island" also known as the enterprise, 1123 ft long.

I'm pretty sure I took that picture. Where did it come from and is there a photo by line?

It's not a Kitty Hawk Class. It's in it's on class. It was supposed to be a nuke but they changed the plans early on so they could have a replacement carrier to homeport in Japan if needed.

Last edited:
FlyingLow said:
I'm pretty sure I took that picture. Where did it come from and is there a photo by line?

It was sent by a friend, here's the text that was with it...

USS J.F.K. Docking in Malta - IMPRESSIVE!

Have you ever considered how big a U.S. Carrier really is??????

This shot gives a good relationship of its size to something else like buildings, cars etc. We were and always be the greatest in the world

The JFK used to be stationed in mayport, about 50 miles from where i live. That ship is gigantic and has an amazing history.:rock:

A symbol of the greatness that this nation represents..... Let's not squander or lose sight of it.

D

JFK was a real piece of crap when it was in Mayport. I was stationed there on the Leyte Gulf and they were always getting welded to the pier, aux steaming for something. Fires in the hanger bay, failing CART's... I was there when she first moved down and it sucked driving into the base while they were peirside (which was alot). A friend of mine was stationed on her just a couple of years ago and he said it's alot better now then it used to be. I think when it was in Mayport it was a reserve ship?
I lived on Atlantic over by Buckets. I'm sure it's changed since I was last there in '02. I have a friend that lives in Manderin.

Theres a lot more below the water line then above....give you some perspective. Its also one of the fastest things on the water too. Back in the 80's while I was in the coast guard we helped the Navy with a problem they had with a vagrant hermit sailor. Carrier fleet was going by this guy who only wanted to be left alone. Navy FF slowed to make an inquiry and the guy went off ramming his tri-haul into the FF. Navy of course couldn't do anything but back away.

We were in the area so we went to investigate why he was so hostel. Took us about an hour to figure out he simply was non-hospitable. By this time port call for the carrier fleet was passing away and the carrier radio'd they were going to make port on time or else.

Damn carrier was at 55 knots and climbing when we lost radar on her....!!!! She left the whole fleet behind.

razorbackfan said:
JFK was a real piece of crap when it was in Mayport. I was stationed there on the Leyte Gulf and they were always getting welded to the pier, aux steaming for something. Fires in the hanger bay, failing CART's... I was there when she first moved down and it sucked driving into the base while they were peirside (which was alot). A friend of mine was stationed on her just a couple of years ago and he said it's alot better now then it used to be. I think when it was in Mayport it was a reserve ship?
I lived on Atlantic over by Buckets. I'm sure it's changed since I was last there in '02. I have a friend that lives in Manderin.

Sure was...Ten years of negligence because of lack of funds...Back in 2004 she was having daily power outages...Around 3:00PM everytime...The whole ship would go to battle lanterns...

But as bad as she was...The America was even worst...CV-66....

FlyingLow said:

It's not a Kitty Hawk Class. It's in it's on class. It was supposed to be a nuke but they changed the plans early on so they could have a replacement carrier to homeport in Japan if needed.

Well that plan fell through, we got the George Washington (CVN-73) instead. Kitty Hawk was sent to Washington for the courtesy razor blade treatment in a few years. 13 months until retirement!

I spent my 2 years at sea on the Washington. Was a great boat while I was on it. But then again I was on its maiden voyage when it was brand new :D. They had a mogas sponsen fire while we were out at sea and they had to jettison the whole sponsen. It was a very interesting GQ!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back