How much of a power loss?

initforthelulz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to need to hide under a chair after asking this but...

I'm running open headers for sh*ts and giggles. It's loud, obnoxious and being one of 2 10's in town (the other is a garage queen), I enjoy being loud on the cheap. On the downside, I know I'm losing power by having everything just dump constantly, any idea how much performance I'm losing by running open?

I tried searching and didn't find anything more than "I can feel the difference". Regardless my exhaust will be re-installed next month as I have to drive across country because we're moving to Delaware and I can't handle that drone for 30hrs on the highway :chain:

Thanks for the info!

I run cutouts where the front cats should be. There is an almost unnoticable difference in power open or closed. I thought there was a bigger change the day I put them on but I believe it was placebo. Damn its loud, but I'm not going that fast. I switch between open and closed weekly. There may be a little more bottom end.

If you want more than seat of the pants difference... On my 05 I didn't have the headers, but after making 74 passes, there was no change in et or mph open or close. I've only made 12 passes with this truck so I'm not as dead consistent, but I still couldn't tell a difference.

Will do when I get home.

Excellent! :D

BTW I've ran open before on other vehicles and you do feel a power difference, but I think when you get on it especially at higher RPMs it doesn't make a difference, remember back pressure IS the enemy of power, it's just a matter of tuning, the myth about "needing" back pressure to run right came from back in the carb days.

I run cutouts where the front cats should be. There is an almost unnoticable difference in power open or closed. I thought there was a bigger change the day I put them on but I believe it was placebo. Damn its loud, but I'm not going that fast. I switch between open and closed weekly. There may be a little more bottom end.

If you want more than seat of the pants difference... On my 05 I didn't have the headers, but after making 74 passes, there was no change in et or mph open or close. I've only made 12 passes with this truck so I'm not as dead consistent, but I still couldn't tell a difference.

Thanks for the comparison, I know it's not scientific but it helps.

Excellent! :D

BTW I've ran open before on other vehicles and you do feel a power difference, but I think when you get on it especially at higher RPMs it doesn't make a difference, remember back pressure IS the enemy of power, it's just a matter of tuning, the myth about "needing" back pressure to run right came from back in the carb days.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to wrap my head around this performance vehicle stuff and it just boggles the mind. This is the first "sport" vehicle I've owned, everything has been Honda 4drs to haul the family up until now.

I love the sound when it's screaming WOT, no matter how hard I try I can't get over that. I'm scraping my pennies together to grab Mighty1's MBRP catback...

Last edited:

Just messing around with an underpass, I've gotten the finger a couple times for downshifting under here. Quality isn't the best, it was filmed on my wifes Ipad.

tunnels & bridges are great.

most fun i ever had was runnin a straight pipe Cummins with Jakes thru a real long tunnel, was a runway, against the gov. & lettin off.

got fingers, cars would move all around, head lights comin on, lmao

Nice vid but tell your camera man to turn his phone to the side, damn looked through your photobucket, what happened to your truck you get sideswiped?

Edit: tell your wife to turn her ipad to the side.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back