How much power can the stock block handle?

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of relates the other thread with the Paxton and 3.25 pulley. Joe from PBJ just finished an SRT Viper with the only mods internally being forged pistons. At 13psi of boost (I think) he generated around 875 rwhp.

My question (not considering belt slip potential)...since I have forged pistons should I go for it and run a VEC program with 13psi on a different pulley or stick with the stock pulley and go for a safer 700 rwhp?

Could I run the smaller pulley and have different cards for the VEC with different performance numbers.

I'd like to have that power on tap if I need it with lower power numbers for the road course and drag strip (traction dependant).

Anyway, I cant help but cringe a bit when I hear almost 900 rwhp being generated from a stock internal block other than pistons and a conservative tune.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave...

a paxton is good for 9 maybe 10 psi...then it will rip everything apart...

there are more dyno racers out there then we know...don't get caught up in he hype...

the block isn't the only problem....the valve train...the tranny, driveshaft....rear end..etc etc....

I think we will know more in a few months..but 700- 800 rwhp is probably the most you can run with out being at the shop constantly...

I will be running 700-725 rwhp on a daily basis..

More thoughts...

if you want more boost you have to redo the entire belt system...not just one pulley....think 8 rib vs. 6

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I'll just go with the stock pulley and water/meth and be happy with that (700-725 rwhp) for the time being. I was figuring on near idle lauches at the strip cause I just know something will happen (and still could) to the tranny if I try and launch hard.

I was also gonna hold off on drag radials for the reason of the power and improved grip would do the tranny in and I cant afford to fix that too should something happen.

Nowwhats gettin pretty smart there, the young man has learned tons, Dave this guy is the one to talk with about your build bro:rock:

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I'll just go with the stock pulley and water/meth and be happy with that (700-725 rwhp) for the time being. I was figuring on near idle lauches at the strip cause I just know something will happen (and still could) to the tranny if I try and launch hard.

I was also gonna hold off on drag radials for the reason of the power and improved grip would do the tranny in and I cant afford to fix that too should something happen.

When the new rear ends come in that some of us ordered...I will have shaved calipers and maybe some rims and slicks available....:D

The 875 rwhp Viper has a different Paxton setup than the trucks have. If you've ever looked at a paxton on the Viper car, then you know what I am talking about. It sits closer to the engine and closer to the pulleys. That's probably why the higher boost can be ran on the cars without the belt slip problems.

Concerning how much hp the SRT engine can safely handle, my opinion is that if Joe D was going to work on my Paxton truck, I would trust his judgement as to what is safe or not safe. He knows about FAR more about that than anyone else that I have met or talked to. ;)

Last edited:
Cant a cog drive setup be intsalled on it if you really want to up the boost with no slip?

SWIFT said:
Cant a cog drive setup be intsalled on it if you really want to up the boost with no slip?
Possibly. :dontknow:

Seems like it would at least be possible to use the Viper Car mounting system since it's the same motor. I guess it depends on what all's different on the front of the car vs truck motors (pulley configuration, suspension, etc).

If I had a paxton I think I'd be looking into it. :confused:

SWIFT said:

sure...but then you start ripping things apart....:( ...

If you want more than 700ish....you need twins or Nos...

Cog is more a 1/4 mile track thing than anything that is daily driven...

Nowwhat said:
sure...but then you start ripping things apart....:( ...

If you want more than 700ish....you need twins or Nos...

Hasn't Blakewilder gone well over 800? Granted, he's also running Striker heads. He'd gone down one belt size and eliminated slip up to around 10psi, but as I recall, started seeing slip again around 12psi. With a mix of race gas, he's gone over 1000 at that psi.

Well your first question, how much can the stock block handle? Lots is the answer. The other part within your post, well, yes your internals need upgraded to get crazy. I would not go more than 6-7PSI on stock internals, but that is me and what I am reading based on other S/C stock internal guys. Here are a couple examples of the V10 block handling plenty of HP. I really like video two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEeo6l3a6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOpuGVoyCk&mode=related&search=

That is a loooooot of sawing, lol...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back