I Broke My Viper Truck!

VA VIPERAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My harmonic balancer came loose today. :(
I sure wish I had read all of the previous posts about this. If I had known it was keyless (brilliant idea :confused: ), I wouldn't have driven home 20 miles with the mild chirping that sounded like an idler bearing or alternator bearing. The thought of a balancer slipping never entered my mind.

I read one post that mentioned a recall. Is this a real recall or just a common problem?

The crank has some scratches, but isn't scored badly. The balancer is toast!
Anyone know the cost of a balancer from the parts counter?
I really don't want to drag it to a dealer and leave it while they wait on parts. I can put it back together in 20 minutes if I get a new balancer.
BTW - The blue loctite is sitting next to my torque wrench and 13/16 socket!!

Yeah, it's too bad. Seems to be either an 04 or RC problem with the smaller socket.

My 05 QC couldn't even be tightened anymore.

When I put on my Paxton I had to key the crank.As I was taking off the pulley,I noticed it was only finger tight.One thing I didnt know is that there were 2 size bolts.:dontknow:

Last edited:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. When I pulled it off, I only used my fingers. The threads look good on the bolt, so I think I'm good there.
BTW, there is a diagonal seam in the pulley where the belt runs. It looks like the way they manufactured it. Is this normal?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back