I got $15K burning a hole in my pocket....

TNVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been reading all the performance threads and just want to ask a few questions and make sure I am going down the right path...I will have about $15K for performance upgrades for my truck which will arrive next week.

I am getting a 2006 SRT10 Night Runner, RC with only 2,300 miles..

These are what I think i should do...remember this is for power adding only and not looks....I have another budget for looks..

CNC Heads...Are the Strikers worth the difference?

B&G flash or VEC?

Catless mids..

LT Headers....seems that there is some disagreement here on whether headers are worth the $$..

Cam?

Lowering Kit?

The truck I am getting already has catbacks and a K&N CAI...the guy that owned it said the Viper tech at his dealer installed a performance "chip" that changes the A/F & timing tables. Of course there is no "chip" on these vehicles. Would he had maybe installed the Mopar Perf PCM or is there a Jet Module or something else out there. The owner knew nothing about performance parts.

I have not actually seen the truck other than pictures so I have not looked at the PCM...

Any other suggestions?

Any advice on which Vendor is best for each part?

TNVIPER said:
I got 15k burning a hole in my pocket . . .

Send it to me, I'll put it to good use. :p :D

TNVIPER said:
I have been reading all the performance threads and just want to ask a few questions and make sure I am going down the right path...I will have about $15K for performance upgrades for my truck which will arrive next week.

I am getting a 2006 SRT10 Night Runner, RC with only 2,300 miles..

These are what I think i should do...remember this is for power adding only and not looks....I have another budget for looks..

CNC Heads...Are the Strikers worth the difference?

B&G flash or VEC?

Catless mids..

LT Headers....seems that there is some disagreement here on whether headers are worth the $$..

Cam?

Lowering Kit?

The truck I am getting already has catbacks and a K&N CAI...the guy that owned it said the Viper tech at his dealer installed a performance "chip" that changes the A/F & timing tables. Of course there is no "chip" on these vehicles. Would he had maybe installed the Mopar Perf PCM or is there a Jet Module or something else out there. The owner knew nothing about performance parts.

I have not actually seen the truck other than pictures so I have not looked at the PCM...

Any other suggestions?

Any advice on which Vendor is best for each part?

Go to the Nat's and you can get a drive behind a few of the modded vehicles there...and see which one you like the best...then go from there... going to be a good variety of trucks there. Driven the Paxton and the Roe.... both are great alternatives for FI.... with 15K at it...you can get into the motor, and harden it with the FI as well.:dontknow:

SEND IT TO ME....I HAVE A SPECIAL BURNING MONEY PUTTER OUTER.:p

AND NO, IT`S NOT A WIFE (EVEN THOUGH A PROVEN MEANS)

forged pistons/rods, paxton or Roe, Vec3 and NOS......you will be flyyyyyying for uner 15k!!

Oh and caltracs and slicks!!!!

Open up the motor and do it right; forged pistons, pushrods, rockers, maybe even a cam and port and polish the heads. Then go FI!

dude dont get a supercharger,,,,, if you want a supercharged truck go get a ford,,,,,spend the money on raw HP not FI...... these trucks to me is all about raw hp not FI. all these guys that have FI are runnining low boost anyway . why get FI and not be able to turn up the boost. build the engine stronger and then if it aint fast enough go with FI ... then you can turn up the boost big time

if i am wrong on that please correct me anybody

Rice Eater said:
forged pistons/rods, paxton or Roe, Vec3 and NOS......you will be flyyyyyying for uner 15k!!

Oh and caltracs and slicks!!!!

Any thoughts on which SC is better...Paxton or Roe?.....Caltracs?..what are these?

Is the SC a mod that a dealer could install?....The SRT8s have leaning out issues in the #1 cyl with the SC...any problems with the Vipers?

caltracs are traction bars you can get from calvert racing,,,, worth every penny...... I would bet money that if you built youre engine and put on slicks with traction bars you will be running better times than 80% of the guys that are running paxtons or roe and then you wont have to listen to that wine or people say you have to supercharge that thing to make it fast,

and I would not trust a dealer to do a oil change more less put on a SC

stick said:
caltracs are traction bars you can get from calvert racing,,,, worth every penny...... I would bet money that if you built youre engine and put on slicks with traction bars you will be running better times than 80% of the guys that are running paxtons or roe and then you wont have to listen to that wine or people say you have to supercharge that thing to make it fast,

Thanks for the answer on the caltracks..:) ....Supercharging is an option for me but I am leaning to the NA route for now for just what you said..build the engine up first...I definitely wont do NOS..just not an option for me..

BTW...my next post will be #100...will there be any flashing lights and balloons?....:star:

stick said:
dude dont get a supercharger,,,,, if you want a supercharged truck go get a ford,,,,,spend the money on raw HP not FI...... these trucks to me is all about raw hp not FI. all these guys that have FI are runnining low boost anyway . why get FI and not be able to turn up the boost. build the engine stronger and then if it aint fast enough go with FI ... then you can turn up the boost big time

if i am wrong on that please correct me anybody

Pretty difficult to tell a guy he's wrong when he has simply stated an opinion.

One may disagree, but to say "your wrong" would be impolite.......

I chose a supercharger because it's the quickest means to an end for me..

I have always intended to stay at 600rwhp for the safety of my lower end (engine)... My observation was that others who exceeded that approximate number ran the risk of damage.... So, a supercharger was just fine for me....

Additionally, There's a number of guys with big bux in their bottom ends AND F/I who still don't make great E/Ts anyway..... 13s -14's and the like.... So, what's the deal....? Learn to launch and shift a stock truck and one is quite capable of running similiar times without all the $$ in modification....

Based on that premise, I believe lots of the folks are spending money on mods just for the sake of conversation anyway.... "I'm bored and stroked and have berylium Johnson rods, and a roller cam set-up which cost me over $22,000 ......." that kinda stuff...... But rarely are they making low E/Ts......... My bro, Brady being one exception....

Bragging rights in this environment are quite significant... and if a guy wants to spend 20-30 grand on a high end rebuild, fine...let him... But if another guy (such as myself) would like to get to 600 rwhp quickly.... Why wouldn't a supercharger make perfect sense....?

It's all very subjective, relative to one's own long range plan....

But I wouldn't say it's "wrong".............. It may be just fine for them.....

D

Django said:
Based on that premise, I believe lots of the folks are spending money on mods just for the sake of conversation anyway.... "I'm bored and stroked and have berylium Johnson rods, and a roller cam set-up which cost me over $22,000 ......." that kinda stuff...... But rarely are they making low E/Ts......... My bro, Brady being one exception....

D
he spent a hell of alot more than $22k.........:D

what he said, i just got a good deal on my roe. so good in fact i couldve re sold it and made money. personally ive always wanted a blown motor. my truck was fast enough with a stage 2 headers no cats. was having trouble with traction then even with cal tracs. did put down a 8.60 in the 8th mile one afternoon. but i dont want to go in the bottom end. id rather finish up with the tranny and the rearend later. to each his own here. if you do want a supercharger later i would start with a built bottom end to be safe. i think it would be safe to say no one person on here will be satisfied with there build for long. there's always something else we can find to tinker with on these trucks. take last years nats for example. look at the same trucks this year and see whats the same. ill bet only a handfull will be exactly like they were when they drove up in august 06.a safer question would be where do you want to end up and let these guys direct you from there.

eddie102870 said:
what he said, i just got a good deal on my roe. so good in fact i couldve re sold it and made money. personally ive always wanted a blown motor. my truck was fast enough with a stage 2 headers no cats. was having trouble with traction then even with cal tracs. did put down a 8.60 in the 8th mile one afternoon. but i dont want to go in the bottom end. id rather finish up with the tranny and the rearend later. to each his own here. if you do want a supercharger later i would start with a built bottom end to be safe. i think it would be safe to say no one person on here will be satisfied with there build for long. there's always something else we can find to tinker with on these trucks. take last years nats for example. look at the same trucks this year and see whats the same. ill bet only a handfull will be exactly like they were when they drove up in august 06.

I agree...The SC is one of my options...I built the SRT8 with CNC heads & intake, cam, B&G stage 3, mids and etc....love that power....I almost went with the SC on it until it appeared to me that more work needed to be done along with a way to tune...I will always being doing something to the truck...

Beware of expensive mods for the sake of mods.............

......as addictions go:

"Modding makes herion seem like bubble-gum....."

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back