I got some questions about Lightnings....

KRAZYSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright folks...

I keep hearing about everyone chasing that Magic Number...10 seconds and I am wondering what is the fastest a Lightning has ever done???:dontknow:

I work with a guy who everyone says used to have the fastest truck on the island and he makes it sound like he had a 10 second truck. Is that possible? :confused:

If so, why did so many of you crossover to the SRT10 and also how do so many of you brag about smoking Lightnings? Is he just blowing smoke up my ass?:dontknow:

Like I have always maintained, I am new to this (After nine months:eek: ) and I wanna see if my truck will be able to take most Lightnings. And being that it is stock....

What do you guyz recommend I buy to make it very competitive....Now Please be serious on this one folks. I am at the point where I know I wanna be fast I just need to save up the cash.

And please remember that I am just an E6 in the military and I am looking for the most affordable package with room for upgrades.

As of right now I am basically stock with the exception of a MOPAR CAI....if that helps for a base line...:eek: :D

TIA!!!:rock:

well being that you are stock,,,,,I would say that most L will take you only because most L are madded.... I have only seen a few L that are still stock...stock against stock you will have no problem if you get traction. the reason so many L are not stock is because it is cheap to mod them.... but really at the last time I was at the track I beat a couple L that had faster times but I crossed the finish line first. I GOT THE WINNERS SLIP. I dont worry about them anymore , If I win I win , if I loose I loose, But I know that it takes skill to bang the gears right and get a good launch..... all they have to do is stand on the gas. and there automatic does the rest for them.
Our trucks in my mind is superior and way more fun to drive.

i know a guy by me with a l that runs 9.80's all day long. and its his daily driver. there are so many parts out there for them so cheap that its easy to run 12's with them. 10's take quite a bit of money in almost any car.

not many lightnings around here! 1 today at the golf course when i left. i would have loved to race him to see what theyre made of. funny he didnt park next to me:dontknow: im getting kinda bored! if they dont start messing with me im going to get a small sign made saying "my svt got smoked by an srt" and when i see one in a parking lot (so on) ill take a picture and post it on here:D im sure they look around here and wish they were on the other side of the fence:rock:

Most are fast! There aren't too many that at least don't have a 6lb lb. pulley (gives the truck 6 additional pounds of boost), a tune and exhaust. The top 86 are in the 12's, but that is only the on'e who post. As you will see, the fastest is 8.2--I would venture to say that no SRT-10 will ever see that time. Part of the success of the L is the weight and the tranny. The tranny (4R100) in built form is one of the best tranny's out there. No six speed will ever shift fast enough to keep up with it.

http://nloc.net/vbforum/timeslips.php?do=quarter&perpage=25

Last edited:
outnumbered said:
Most are fast! There aren't too many that at least don't have a 6lb lb. pulley (gives the truck 6 additional pounds of boost), a tune and exhaust. The top 86 are in the 12's, but that is only the on'e who post. As you will see, the fastest is 8.2--I would venture to say that no SRT-10 will ever see that time. Part of the success of the L is the weight and the tranny. The tranny (4R100) in built form is one of the best tranny's out there. No six speed will ever shift fast enough to keep up with it.
I think FastJack might have something to say about that:dontknow: :p :D

With all due respect to Jack......an 8.2 in a SRT10 Ram..................ain't happening. Although, I would love for someone to prove me wrong!:D

A key warning for you on taking L's is their tires. I have seen guys put on slicks and go drive around town looking for races. That is also a big help at the track. If an L wants to race tell him that you want to run street tire for street tire. Also most stock L's will take you just because you are a stock QC. You have the added weight that RC's don't have. The best thing you can do is get a flash. That will make a huge difference in your truck. Bottom line is you never know what they have under the hood and after the race try to become friends.

L's as a rule are faster....but they are still just a $17k Ford...:D

There are 6 or so L's going to the same track as us tomorrow and I can't beat any of them.....:dontknow:

they take racing reaaaal serious....one guy is even running a new 4 valve motor.....

I had no problem beating my friends 99 L with CAI, straight pipes, and pulley. They are very fast, but I beat him with only Magnaflow CB. I am stock beside that. Even the air filter..:)

TREKER said:
I had no problem beating my friends 99 L with CAI, straight pipes, and pulley. They are very fast, but I beat him with only Magnaflow CB. I am stock beside that. Even the air filter..:)

It really is pointless to think about it, anything can be made to go faster then the next guy. And face is an 8 or 9 second Lightning is no longer a Lightning. They tube the frames and strip them down to make all out racers out of them.

I had two Lightnings.A 99 and an 01.The 01 was FAST ! I put about the same money in it as I have in my SRT-10 , and having driven and raced both,the SRT-10 would lose every time.The L was quicker by far and handled a lot better than my SRT-10.Ride was about the same,though.

Having said that,I wouldn't trade my SRT-10 for two fully modded L's.Quick isn't the only thing in life.The SRT is way cooler,better built,more comfortable,and looks better.

I have run into 3 Lightnings around in my area. None of them seemed very interested in playing. One guy I rev'd repeatedly at a light and he did nothing. They might have given me a good run if their owners had more balls.

There is a lot that goes into making any vehicle fast. Suspension, tires, power to weight ratio, and transmission. When it comes to horsepower the SRT-10 has way more potential simply because of the larger displacement and two more cylinders. We have plenty of trucks on this forum putting down 700+ horsepower. So when it comes to the HP race I think we've got most of them beat. However, getting it to the ground efficiently is where the problem comes in. The L's have an auto and weight advantage which helps them out with launches and shifting (compared to a RC). They also do not have the problem of finding slicks that fit their rear wheels. Unless you are good at banging gears, they will probably get you out of the hole. The QC's are on even ground when it comes to the auto, but they also have a few more pounds and poor weight transfer due to the longer wheelbase.

Ultimately, as pointed out earlier you can make anything go fast with enough mods and money. If you really want to compare the trucks you have to compare stock to stock. Hell, I could put a 300HP nitrous kit on a Neon and smoke a Lightning (whether the Neon lives or not is another story). In stock trim I would say the SRT-10 is going to win.

-Muzzy

Stock block ,modded lightnings weak link is their connecting rods. Many Lightnings have blown their engines with a chip, and 4-6 pound pulley when they start pulling 3rd and 4th . If they have a conservative tune they will be ok, but if they are agressive with timing and they get into to some cold weather the computer will add timing and put them over and bye bye rods. Happens every fall seasons when the temp. drops .Thats Great Ford engineering not to have a working Knock sensor . In our Arizona group we have a few 10sec trucks and 5-6 11 sec trucks, and a bunch of 12sec trucks.

Last edited:
HOT RAM said:
Having said that,I wouldn't trade my SRT-10 for two fully modded L's.Quick isn't the only thing in life.The SRT is way cooler,better built,more comfortable,and looks better.

Absolutely:dito: :dito: :dito:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back